Why do you light candles and incense?

I notice that a lot of people mention buring incense and lighting candles as part of their spiritual rituals? Why do you do that and how is that part of your spiritual beliefs?

lf someone who is not pagan burns candles and lights incense even if they are not pagan? Are they acting like pagans? Will they accidentally open the doors for a spiritual encounter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I notice that a lot of people mention buring incense and lighting candles as part of their spiritual rituals? Why do you do that and how is that part of your spiritual beliefs?

As a Catholic candles are lit for several reasons - mainly because Christ is the light of the world and the candle is a reminder of that.   Burning incense has a long history in Christianity and before that Judaism.  It's mentioned in the Bible in Ps 141:2 and Rev 8:3-5.   Incesnse symbolizing a cleansing so at more traditional Catholic Masses the priest will incesnse the alter, himself, the congregation.  It also functions as a visual representation of prayers and worship rising to God.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i am not a pagan,..and maybe they might open the doors for a spiritual encounter..but i dont necessarily think its a huge part of their rituals.i could be wrong..but for me when i light candles and incense its to enter into a state of relaxation,.and peace. im planning on having them at my next birth to aid in the pain relief.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 9:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Burning candles and lighting incense is not only found in Paganism.
    No, using candles or incense does not mean they are Pagan or trying to be Pagan. It could mean they like the smell and calming or energizing effects, as the case may be.
    I burn candles and incense for tons of reasons ranging from testing my own products to rituals and representation of the elements.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• also to add i think the candles and incese as i described in my PP is to be relaxed and let things go their own way.soo..maybe thats what they aid people in while performing a ritual.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 9:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Candles create light and that helps my concentration AND empowers the spells and rituals. I don't like incense, but will use it if the spell calls for it. They are tools. I can affect a spell just by thinking about it and concentrating, but the candles, incense, gemstones, etc. are just aids to increase its effectiveness. All magick and ritual begin with the most important tool--YOU!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I love candles and incense. If people of other religions use it in a ritual, that's no business of mine. I just like the smell. They relax me and make my home seem homier!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• For me

Candles symbolize the element of Fire, and incense is for the element of Air.

Incense can also be considered a "Meta-Elemental" of Fire and Air...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• The use of candles is found in MANY religions. In paganism (wicca) the candles you burn can have different meanings based on the color, and or essential oil that fragrances them. Catholics light candles to honor the deceased, even in my lutheran (my hubby's from a lutheran family) wedding service we lit a unity candle. So you definitely aren't being pagan by lighting candles. In paganism the candle isn't as important as the intent behind lighting it in the first place.
    Lacymarie

Answer by Lacymarie at 10:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Lighting candles and burning incense are forms of votive offerings. Its a form of praise worship and sacrifice and is almost universal. When I light a candle it usually accompanies a prayer and with incense it's a form of sacrifice and it helps to set the mood for reverence in worship. Anyone can offer votive offerings to any deity, Participating in such ritual does not make one Pagan in any way. If any spiritual encounter was to occur, I'd expect it to be with the deity that the offering was made to, not some other deity at all.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I am Catholic, i will light a candle of Our Lady of Guadalupe when I am asking for help with my children, I will light a St. Jude candle when life is down and out and the situation is impossible.
    Anonymous