Who is a great actor/actress?

I don't mean Brad Pitt b/c he's a good actor and he's cute.... or Jennifer Anniston because she is the exact same person in all her roles, she's not an actress, she's a character.

Who do you see and think "that's a GREAT actor"? Who is our Lawrence Olivier? (for those of you who don't know, Olivier is considered the greatest actor of all time)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Entertainment

• Wow that's a tough one.

I like alot of the previously mentioned actors and actresses ---- but these are some of my favorites:
    Anthony Quinn
    Robin Williams
    Will Smith
    Cate Blanchett
    Kevin Spacey
    Jodi Foster
    Nicolas Cage
    Jim Carrey
    Dakota Fanning
    Haley Joel Osment

Umm... too many to name! ---- Sorry I can't pick just one!
    PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 2:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think Depp is outstanding and has barely scratched the surface of his abilities.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Charlize Theron knocked the movie "Monster" off the charts. I mean her acting ability was out of this world. When I say her all glamorous I was like ain't no way she played this ugly nasty looking woman. Its also how she played the role thats just OMG. She really deserved the Oscar and Golden Globe Awards.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Johnny Depp and Hilary Swark
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My youngest would be Dakota Fanning...THATS MY GIRL!!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Meryl Streep because she took really challenging roles when she was younger and is still good and you can't typecast her. The gal from Muriel's Wedding always amazes me with her talent. Kate Blanchet is my new favorite oozing talent.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I have no youthful contenders in mind for great actress/actor. I grew up with real actors like Cary Grant and Paul Newman and Katherine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor. Now that was acting. I watched Sir Peter Ustinov in a movie last night. I had forgotten how great he was. Nowadays I'm into the animated movies bc I like them better than real time acting!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Among Americans, Johnny Depp. He inhabits characters in such a way that he becomes them.

Among Brits, David Tennant is said to have done the best Hamlet since Olivier. In fact, the production he starred in last summer is now being filmed for DVD release. (Take THAT, Jude Law!)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think Kate Winslet is incredibly talented and versatile. Tim Robbins is another one of my favorites. Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino are great, and although Sean Penn bugs the heck out of me, I do think he is a wonderful actor.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Jensen Ackles, yes I know he's a pretty face but he can whip out the drama and comedy and everything in between with a remarkable intensity.

Ryan Gosling is extremely talented, especially at playing kind of nutty people, I think he is highly underrated.

Ryan Reynolds is hilarious, but also does drama amazingly well.

The same goes for Jim Carrey, everyone knows him for his zany antics but you watch a movie like the Number 23 and totally forget that's him.

Zooey Deschanel is a really good actress, and she sings, too.

Clea Duvall...she's not that well known but she's been in a million things. She usually plays kind of tough hard people, and is a really really talented actress. She isn't super model glamorous, either, and I have a feeling that's why she doesn't get a lot of recognition.
    utopiaseas

Answer by utopiaseas at 2:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2009