• In the Spotlight:

Do you or will you let your child(ren) wear 2nd hand clothes and or hand me downs?

YUP SURE DO! the way they go through things it doesnt make sense to buy it all new.. but i ran across someone a few days ago who only let her kids wear new clothes and wouldnt even do hand me downs from siblings

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hell yes! I refuse to spend $25 on a pair of pants my toddler will either trash or grow out of in two months. I either find good deals or get them from family. We tend to have a pretty sweet pass around deal going on!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• i thought like that BEFORE i had kids... now i have 2 boys and take any hand me downs!!!!! mostly i use them for play clothes unless they are in really good shape, but still free clothes are free clothes!!!! saves me money! im all for it!!!
    i wont let them use undies socks or shoes from anyone else except siblings though.. jsut weird like that
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I guess theylike to brag about wearing the latest new clothe my kids wear some thrift and some new.
    Anonymous

• I like to shop the consignment stores. I also send my DS's old clothing there. Saves me money and makes some, too!

I do buy shoes for him new, though. I heard shoes shouldn't be reused.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• You bet I do! I love GAP clothing but I buy it at the consignment stores for a fraction of the normal store or online price. When I am done I take it back to the store and get credit for the items they take and get more. I have found some awesome deals there, and that way when my daughters rip a whole in the knee of their jeans I am less likely to have a meltdown since they didn't cost over $20-$30. Kids ruin clothing so quickly and outgrow it even faster so I prefer to save money when I can. Garage sales are awesome for camping and play clothes too! Love it!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 10:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Heck ya I use hand me downs!! they are the best. They don't always have to be in great shape either because it can be designated play clothes to!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Oh totally. I wore hand me downs and my daughter wears hand me downs. Very few of her clothes are brand new. She's almost six months old and we have not bought her ONE single outfit since she was born. Everything she's worn was either bought by a family member or given to her from my cousin who has a daughter who's a year older than her.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Hand me down or used shirts. We ruin all pants including PJ's. It was never a consideration but Old Navy is so cheap, I often end up there for jeans.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Most of my boys' clothes are from consignment shops. It is so much cheaper. But my mil also works at Children's Place. When they have their Monster Sales, plus her 30% discount it is so cheap to buy them new clothes as well. But I have absolutely nothing against hand me downs. My cousins used to call them pass alongs. I guess that sounded a little nice to them.
    Anonymous

• the only thing that should never be hand me down is underwear. the rest heck yeah.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2009