Is there another way to potty train?

So my husband and I resorted to giving my son treats when he goes potty in his potty seat, but slowly it isn't working anymore. I don't know what else to do. He just turned two and everyone is telling me that we're pushing him to fast to potty train, but he's the one who won't wear diapers anymore and he even gets mad sometimes if I go to the bathroom room without him in there. He wants to go potty in the bathtub, but we really want him to go on his toilet. Any suggestions on what to do?

angel551983

Asked by angel551983 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Move his potty chair into the tub. Really. (When it's empty, of course.) Keep him in pull-ups for now. He is still about a year to a year and a half younger than other fully potty trained boys.

Look at "The No-Cry Potty Training Solution" book on Amazon.com for more help.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Can you put his potty in the bathtub? Lol! (Don't listen to people who tell you it is to soon. All around the world, for centuries, and even here 100 years ago, peoplke potty trained much earlier).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Devote one entire day to his potty training. Give him lots of water all day and ask him constantly if he has to go. Even if he say's no, put him on the potty every 30 minutes. Put him in regular undies, not pull ups or diapers while you're doing this. They only pull the wetness away. You need him to know when he's wet. Have several changes of undies b'c he'll have a lot of mistakes. You can give him a treat each time for making it to the potty and not doing it in his undies. DO NOT go back to diapers or pull ups after the day. You will be successful in a day unless he's not ready physically. If anyone tells you differently, they gave up. If you're firm and the child is ready, you can do it in a day. I did.... twice. With both a boy and a girl. The only reason it's drawn out longer is the parent is a wuss.
    Anonymous

• Can you just stick him on the big toilet and give him a sticker each time he goes?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Dont put his potty in the tub, it will teach him its ok to get in the tub when he wants, and what if its full of water one day? Also you are supposed to be training him to go in the toilet, not wherever. Try using the big toilet, I used to put cheerios in the water for my boys to try to sink. All kids are different, and it may be too early for him,just keep trying and see ifhe gets the hang of it. Another thing that worked for me was getting real underwear that my kids really liked (spongebob, or who ever) and making a big deal about not pooping or peeing on spongebob (or whoever).
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 1:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my son is 2 an 1/2 an he wont pee in the potty yet but he refuses to poop. so he'll come tell me he stinks an that's when i know hes about or is in the process of pooping. we just moved an arnt finished yet an his potty is over at the other house, so he sits on the "big boy seat" but gets so proud of himself for it. i gave him hi fives the first time now everytime one drops hes like mommy hi5. its cute. but its also messy. he wont poop in his diapers anymore, but wont pee in the potty. hes the one who chose to sit on the big boy seat. so im letting him do it at his speed. i also let him run around naked.. that way he sees himself go an when ever he makes a mess he comes an tells me right away an we go to the big boy seat. he helps clean up regardless. i was sceptical but running around naked really worked for me so far. so maybe it'll work. doesnt hurt to try right?

youngmarriedmom

Answer by youngmarriedmom at 8:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009