Kitten's paw swolllen after being tangled in string for 3 hours, what should i do?

I have a hide a bed couch, where my 8 5 week old kittens like to hide, today while i was cleaning one started whaling i tried to see what was wrong but i couldnt see up into where it was, it stopped crying so i figured it was fine, but then off and on the past few hours it would cry out still in the couch, it had been about 3 hours or so since it first started crying and finally it came out enough, turns out its back foot got tangles in a string i got the kitten free and cut the string off, but now its paw is really swollen, what should i do? ice it, see how it heals on its own?

AtticusJsmum

Asked by AtticusJsmum at 11:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Pets

• vet?
    Anonymous

• I cant really bring it anywhere right now, i just want to know if there is anything i can do until tomorrow when somewhere is open
    AtticusJsmum

Answer by AtticusJsmum at 11:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Look to see if there is a mark from the string. It could have cut through the skin. Try massaging the leg to stimulate the blood flow. Also try ice. Since you can't get him to the vet keep an eye on him. Poor little guy. Kittens can sure get into to trouble. I rescued 6 kittens so I know you've got your hands full. I hope he's ok.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I didnt see a mark or blood, i think most of it was it was trying to get out of the couch but its foot was stuck so it was hung by its foot for a bit before i finally got it out, its quietly eating now, but hopefully itll be feeling better tomorrow especially since my son likes to "love" them.
    AtticusJsmum

Answer by AtticusJsmum at 11:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I would go to or at least call a vet in case blood circulation was cut off the whole time.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• you need to go to emergency vet...it could get a horrible infection and possible lose the foot if it lost blood long enough....if not then FIRST thing in the morning....poor little kitty...hope it goes ok...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• How is the color on the pads of the paw? Is it normal color? Does it look bruised/blue? The danger is tissue death due to loss of circulation- if the skin appears to be normal color I would be a lot less concerned than if the tissue looks blueish. I know it's harder to tell on animals with furry paws, but we had this happen to a hedgehog once... she got a long piece of hair wrapped around her paw and by the time I found it the front part of her paw had turned purple. I had to cut the hair off and had to watch her really closely to be sure her paw returned to normal color.... once that purplish color was gone we could tell that the circulation had returned and she was okay. Of course it's easier to tell with them because their feet are hairless- but I would look at any exposed skin you can find to see if the paw looks oxygen starved- if so I would go to the ER vet. If it looks pink and normal, it's probably fine. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yeah the kittens pads looks normal, about 2 hours later the swelling went down and (s)he was playing, it looks totally normal now. I think i was just when (s)he was trying to get outof the couch ot eat she was hung by her paw for a few mintues from the first time i heard her yelp to wheni got hewr out...it maybe had been 5 minutes a most, the rest of the time (s)he was up in the couch. Sorry i keep saying (s)he but theyre 5 weeks old and im still not sure who are boys and who are girls.
    AtticusJsmum

Answer by AtticusJsmum at 4:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• watch to see how much sweeling I might try to dip it in somthing for infection like soap ? see if in a while the paw seems squishy it could develope pus or if skiin dies he needs to go to vet keep him contained where you can see him I hope he is ok they sure do get into trouble little dickons
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009