Feel like pulling my hair out!!!

My 19 month old is hitting his terrible 2's and im ready to kill him. When he doesnt get his way or throws a fit he screams at the top of his lungs. I have tried ignoring him, putting him in the corner, and sitting him in his crib but im running out of ideas. Im going to have son #2 in about 7 weeks and i dont want to lose my mind, any ideas?

tristinsmommy

Asked by tristinsmommy at 11:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ready to kill him! I know you're probably not serious but who says that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I've heard MANY moms say that including my mom to me haha. I was pretty awful though, and like they'd really do it?

My son's only 6 months old, so I don't know much about the terrible two's besides the fact that my baby cousin was a spoiled (but still cute) brat. When I watched her I wouldn't put up with anything, if she cried because she didn't get her way that was just too bad. When she did something nice I would give her tons of attention and make her feel like she did a very good thing. Also, when it was just too much, I'd lie to her HAHA. I'd tell her that if she didn't stop doing whatever that her mom would stop giving her food or just random things. Or I'd pretend to leave.

Of course I only babysat so I don't expect any of this to be "right" or not. Plus EVERY child and mom is different. Find something that works for your family and stick to it. F**k everyone else's opinion. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Toddlers really like when you sympathize with them as well. Like for example "I know you really want a cookie right now, I know how you feel, but ... etc. etc".

I think that ignoring tamtrums can make them worse, and at 19 months few kids understand time outs and stuff.

I highly recommend The Discipline book by Dr. Sears

Don't worry, your child is just testing boundaries and needs you to help him understand them while still allowing him to explore them.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:03 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Just stay consistent with him It can get really hard sometimes but hes just testing you!! I have a tow year old and going through it to! I have 4 girls and I have learned that staying cosistent works great even thugh it can be rough sometimes! Plus your about to have another baby and your emotions are going crazy right now!! Everything will work out!!! AND I KNOW YOUR SAYING IM READY TO KILL HIM IS JUST AN EXPRESSION!!! Every parent ( Unless your a know i all mom) says things they dont really mean!! God will guide you!!! Good luck honey!!
    SD777

Answer by SD777 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Im not really going to kill him...its just a figure of speech...he has alot of his cute moments but his sceaming can erally hit that one nerve that you just want to strangle him....it wouldnt be so bad if i could put him in his own room but we meaning me, my husband and my son all share the rooma nd when the baby comes we will be 4 in the room so...might help you understand a little more why i feel like killing him...Just know i would never do it I love him soooo much.
    tristinsmommy

Answer by tristinsmommy at 2:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You do have to let him know who is boss and start some form of discipline. I am not saying to beat your child but a good smack on the hand or bottom makes a point in our family. When my 3 yr old pushes the limit I warn him, "if you do that one more time you will get disciplined" or I use time out 1min per age. If my 1 yr old keeps pulling on the blinds after I warned her, I act really shocked when she does it and give a firm no. Distractions are really good in keeping their busy bodies out of trouble. I do this first. I only discipline after a firm warning and they have obviously disobeyed. You need to find what works, otherwise you will have a 4 yr old hitting or bitting you and you will be crying for more than just the physical pain.
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 3:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2009