I want to start weaning my son off the pacifier...

my son is 10 months old and I want to START to wean him off the pacifier so on his first bday he doesnt need it anymore, any suggestions? I have already tried to not give it to him and offer a teething ring to chew on etc; but it doesnt seem to work. He mostly uses it to sooth him back to sleep at night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I worked at a daycare, a mother came in with her son on his first birthday and said alright, time to give it up. He handed it to her and it was a couple days of bad fussing and crying but then he moved on from it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• If he only uses it at night, why the rush to wean him? Leave him be. He'll soon wean himself when he's ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• he is too little to try to wean him unless you want a crying fussy and confused baby. Wait a little longer at least when he is old enough to make sense of some exuse. I plan to use the "paci fairy took it for the little babies not the big babies that dont need it" line. it worked great for a friend with her 19 month old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• babies have a natural need to suck, leave him to it for a while longer, at least 15 months or so, unless you want to have a baby that cries alot for a week or so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I also think it's a little early to wean him from it at night.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I believe that a baby(my kids) should be out of the paci stage when they learn to walk and talk, it impairs their speach and ruins their teeth, that is why I want him off it.there is no reason why a baby who is a year old should be on it. Thats what I believe.
    Anonymous