Russian Woman had 69 Children?

I quote the following from:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080221183915AALsSUw

"The most children born to one woman in total is 69. A Russian peasant in the eighteenth century had 27 pregnancies, giving birth to 16 pairs of twins, 7 sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets."

And we all thought Octo-Mom was bad!

Why would someone choose to have this many children?

Mama_Kimmy

Asked by Mama_Kimmy at 11:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• im sure she didnt choose to, im surprised that her body let her! pregnancy takes a HUGE toll on your body!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• What the??? That sounds crazy and impossible.... I can't even imagine it!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Back then, i doubt they had birth control. Maybe they always wanted a big family....haha. I'd lose my mind.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• There's no way one woman could physically care for that many children . . . I bet that really took a village.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• The children of the Russian mother were born between the years of 1729 and 1765, long before invitro.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 11:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Wow. That's insane. Even if all the pregnancies were singles that would still be 27 kids. Holy cow!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yeah, isn't it just a little odd that she didn't have any singles?
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'm guessing an 18th century man wouldn't have respected his wife's wishes if she said she wanted to avoid sex during her fertile time. That poor woman! Can you imagine? She must have been washing diapers all day. I use cloth diapers for one baby and I have a washing machine, but it's still some work.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Because back then that is what women did. They had children, they took care of their faamilies and large families were the norm. Granted 69 children wasn't the norm but how maany of those children survived to adulthood? We are also talking the 1700's here which means that they listened to their church, they didn't use birth control and they had their children spaced as close together as G-d let it happen. Hence the reason many woman and children ddidn't survive childbirth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yeah, you didn't quote the very next sentence.

"And according to the book The Two-Headed Boy, and Other Medical Marvels by Jan Bondeson the largest number of children born in a single birth was 365 to Margaret of Hennenberg after she was cursed for spreading rumors."

I'm sorry, I call BS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009