do i need to do anything else?

i started my first garden. growing mostly vegies, corn, tomatoes, green beans, carrots, brocolli, peppers and cabbage. anyways... i do'nt want to use any chemicals, so basicallyi planted them watered them and that was it. i have a compost goin but nothing ready yet to fertilize with. should i be puttin anything on it to help it grow better. half of it is growing really good and half of it is not doin so great so far.
another question i have is does it really hurt to water like late morning, cuz that is when i usually have the most time to do it. i know it's probably better to water early morning or at night, but it's hard for me to do.
any other tips you may have are appreciated! by the way, i live in southern colorado, we have really good soil where we live cuz so close to the Arkansas River.

batsonsgirl

Asked by batsonsgirl at 11:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I don't know about your area, but in general, plants need fertilizer b/c they will deplete the soil of needed nutrients as they grow. You can buy organic fertilizers until your compost matures (think cow manure & products labeled as organic fertilizers). Prepping the soil with plant specific fertilizers prior to planting, then side dressing at least once during the season will give your plants a big boost. You also need to consider insect damage. You can either purchase organic pesticides or make your own - find recipes on the web. As for watering, late morning or afternoon is not good b/c the sun will evaporate the water & can burn your plants. Maybe invest in soaker hoses that lie right at the base of the plants and then mulch really well over them so that when you water, the mulch will prevent the sun from evaporating the water & keep more moisture near your plant's roots, and then it won't matter as much when you water.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The other pp had some good idea's. The only other thing I can think of is maybe invest in a timer that goes on the hose faucet. You could set it to come on early morning that way it gets watered before it gets to hot. They carry them at Walmart and I think we paid around $30 for ours.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• well we have ditch water rights, so usually we just the ditch run, but i have to watch it pretty close otherwise it floods the garden too much. i will definetely get some fertilizer, better late then never. so far the only animalsi have to worry about are deer. they jump the fence. bugs haven't been to much a problem yet. i imagine once things really start growing i better watch them closer
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Once the sun is up, more water will evaporate than get to your plants.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I heard that banana peels help grow plants. Never tried it or seen anyone who has. Just heard about it.
    MarineWife1108

Answer by MarineWife1108 at 7:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It really isn't good to water in late morning--think sunburn. Early morning is better for watering. Like a PP said, try a timer. Use Miracle-Gro or other plant food made for edible plants according to directions. Some plant foods, fertilizers and pesticides can't be used on your growing food, or it will poison whoever eats it.
    For a good cheap bug killer buy a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Break the filter off 3 or 4 cigarettes and peel the paper off the outside and soak just the tobacco in a quart of warm water overnight. In the morning strain the tobacco out and add a tablespoon of the dishwashing liquid. Spray this on the plant and don't rinse it off for 24 hours.
    I've heard about thebanana peels too, but I thoiught it was only for roses.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I am a true believer in Miracle Grow. Makes ALL the difference in how my veggies and flower beds do. Once a week is all it takes. If you have trouble with bugs you can spray with liquid dish soap and water, or if you have bunnies nibble your plants sprinkle with baby talcum powder. Planting Merigolds helps too, they are kind of stinky. Happy growing!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2009