SAHM's... do you get lonely?

my son is 13 months and i get so lonely sometimes, i seriously think i'm going crazy. i'm like a character in the sims, my social bar is really low and the social bunny is going to come down and save me, only this is real life and there is no social bunny. my husband works all day he has two jobs to support us... i'm starting to develop agoraphobia. like really, i think i need a lobotomy (jk, humor is the one thing i have going for me)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Many women feel isolated as new mothers and sometimes it can last for longer. If you're shy to begin with or have some anxiety issues it's twice as hard to get out around people.

Consider starting with the library. Not a lot of talking/visiting/socializing going on there so it could be a nice easy start. You'll be around other people and have some interaction. Perhaps they have some story time type programs for your little one. From there maybe you'll meet a local parent or two and can progress to playground.

BTW - I can go to a playground with my DD and never speak to another parent LOL. It's not that I don't WANT to - simply that a lot of folks don't approach you. So try it out. Or just a walk through your neighborhood - or a park.

You WILL make yourself crazy if you don't take some steps. It'll affect your relationship with your spouse/SO but also with your child. A lobotomy is not an option LOL - get outside!
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 6:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You could try joining a play group and meet other moms.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 12:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'm lonely too! I live with my father so I can care for him as well as my 20 month old son. I drive my father's car when I do leave. He gets bent out of shape if I want to go grocery shopping or just go to the park with my son or visit my mother. I'm not a hermit like my father, but he is trying to make me that way.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 12:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• yeah i've tried that, i think i just need to grab the bull by the horns and get out more. i have severe anxiety so i dont like to get out much but i need to do something
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• YES! I need to join a MOPS group. I think we are going to start going to the park every day. We just need to get out. My kids get crabby too if we are home all the time.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think it happens to a lot of Moms and can end up being a problem in marriage. GET OUT. Get up every morning, have a cup of coffee and take a walk every darn day...the key is to kill time in the day. It sounds terrible but it's true. Is there a place you can go to work out or walk with the baby or can you get a break? I used to leave my kids at the babysitter in the gym. Force yourself to go out or it does get worse and then you might get depressed. But it's normal, hang in there.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• thanks guys for being so nice about it, i thought i was going to get a lot of comments saying im crazy lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i'm a young stay at home mom so all of my friend are at the bars and clubs while i'm home with my daughter. it sucks and i'm really lonely
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 12:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah!! Thats totally normal though, the human brain craves social interaction in order to learn/teach & generally thrive. I have the same thing going on, I felt like a hermit. My man would do all the grocery shopping etc. so I really was only feeling sunshine on my face when taking the trash out & doing yardwork lol. I started to know something was different when I realized my daily conversations were only held with babies & dogs/puppies..lmao. But I do mommy & me its better to receive that healthy adult conversation, but sometimes I still just want to be left the hell alone when things are mega stressful..sometimes the dull silence is just peaceful..
    ladypitbull66

Answer by ladypitbull66 at 2:27 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It really gets easier as they get older. Now that my kids are 3 and 6 and in school, I've gotten out a lot more and met people. Sometimes as a SAHM, you get so disconnected from the rest of the world, you just don't feel like you're a part of it anymore. Getting out and being around other adults can do wonders for a person's mental state!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2009