Infected toe? (warning: gross)

The other day I stubbed my big toe, not even that hard and I realized it hurt a lot more than it should, but I looked at it and thought nothing of it because it didn't look any different then my other toes.
But yesterday I was clipping my toe nails, and I accidentally clipped the part that hurt, but when i looked at it I noticed it was discolored and this like yellowish pus stuff started coming out.
So I soaked it in hot water and some salt thing my mom had I forget what they're called. After I dried it off and put neosporin on it and a bandaid. It felt better for about a day, but today when I went to take a bath I took the bandaid off there was dried pussy crusty stuff.
Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Health

• Are you diabetic? If yes, go to the dr.
    If not I would just keep doing what you have been doing and it should heal up in a couple weeks.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No I am not.
    Thank you. :)
    I'm guessing if it gets worse or doesn't clear up to go to the doctor as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If it gets red and painful and if the puss keeps coming, or you get a fever I'd have it looked at. Clean it every day with peroxide or alcohol or a good soap. You can get staph which can lead to MRSA but not necessarily. I'd keep an eye on it for sure but just listen to your body. If it still hurts, you need to have them check it out as you may need a course of antibiotics or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It sounds like a small infection if it is an infection. Many times I have treated something like this with several soaks in warm salt water. I mix warm water (not hot) with salt (not too much or it will dry your skin out) and soak for 10 min as many times as I want during the day. I have had tremendous success with this, try it.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yeah I should have said that if you get red streaks radiating from your toe or it get hot and really swollen then you should see a doc. Those are signs of infection.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:51 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• okay thank you everybody for your help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• This has happened to me a few times with my toes and fingers. It's nothing to worry about. It'll ache for a couple of days so I suggest whenever possible to wear open toe shoes. I always clean it 3-4 times a day with peroxide and then I put neosporin on it and let it air out as much as possible. It'll take about a week to heal but the pain should subside in a couple of days.
    christinal14

Answer by christinal14 at 2:27 AM on Jun. 8, 2009