Spoon Feeding

I really don't know where to go from here. Jazmin is ready to spoon feed, but I don't know how to start or how to help her learn to eat from a spoon. Any tips?

Call-Me-Mommy

Asked by Call-Me-Mommy at 12:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son first started he was not so good at first. he didn't get the swallow thing like most babies don't. he used his fingers to help swallow..which is also normal. Just put it near her mouth and she will open up right away. start with as little on the spoon as possible. it will make feeding her easier. It will take sometime for her to get use to it. good luck...have a lot of napkins or wipes near you!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I just put a spoon to my son's mouth and he took it pretty well. Prepare for a mess though. She will prob spit a lot out at first...but she will get the hang of it. Just keep working with her. Good luck!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I let mariah hold the spoon and let her chew on it for a while then I took it from her and scooped some food and fed her. she thought she was going to chew on it but instead got a treat. she now opens her mouth while i'm getting her food
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 12:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'm assuming baby is 6 months old, lost tongue thrust, sits up unassisted, etc.?

Just give her the spoon and some yummy food (avocados are great!) and let her go at it. Solids right now are just for fun, so let her have some fun! :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• When she is ready there is really no learning process at all. You hold up the spoon, and baby opens mouth and eats it, and opens mouth for more! If this is not happening then you probably need to wait a bit.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2009