what do you do when your 3 1/2 year old has completely regressed and won't potty train?

over a year ago i thought he was ready. he went potty lots and i praised him lots. At one point i thought we were almost trained during the day. Now he constantly refuses to go, stopped pooping in the potty, and wont' tell us when he has accidents. he would sit in poop ALL day if i didn't catch him cuz of the stink. he is soaking pullups. i never relied on pullups before. he was always wearing undies till recently. for months he was wearing undies and just an accident or two a day.
anyways. we have tried everything. from, timeouts, to reward charts, cheerios, scolding, bribes, telling him about how big he is for doing it, and getting him the way cool undies. My husband would rather just spank him everytime. that is not right. we should have never punished him for this. now i feel horrible. and we now want to just step back and let it be for a while. i thinki am gonna call the doc and see what he says to, what you think?

batsonsgirl

Asked by batsonsgirl at 12:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm in the same boat. my daughter will be 4 in august and decided recently that she won't poop in the potty at home. she poops in the potty at granny's and at daycare but not at home. we've tried everything also. Its very frustrating. She will come downstairs from playing with a great big smile on her face and say "I pooped my pants".....i think thats what frustrates me the most!
    Mom_of_KBTC

Answer by Mom_of_KBTC at 8:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If your okay putting the toddler potty in his room during nap time .as long as it gets dumped immediantly so there is no play time! Give pennies for every urination. Our daughter regressed, she lacked motivation to keep using the big toilet. But the pennies put her back on track. When he is doing good for about two weeks buy some big boy undies and stress the importance of them. They are not diapers. And if he can't go in the big toilet take them away and try again in a week. Good luck!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009