Should i get my unborn son circumcised??

They say it makes it cleaner..does it?
I was told its just for looks really and there is know realy reason to get it done..alls it does it put the baby threw pain for a couple weeks for something that isnt needed. If he wants it done he can get it dont himself if he chooses to right?
HELP!?

jo_jo453

Asked by jo_jo453 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ugh, touchy question but I say do it. We live in the USA and your son will have to be in locker rooms and sleepovers and with women some day and it is easier to fit in then be the kid that has to explain his foreskin. Seriously. I'll get a lot of crap for this but I did both my kids and am pleased. If I were in Europe I might do things differently but we spend most of our time here. Lord knows you DO NOT want to have to do it when they are older!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• abosolutly!!!!!
    jamerz89

Answer by jamerz89 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Well it's acutally a myth that it's cleaner. Most infections that uncirced boys end up with come from parents retracking the forskinw when they aren't supposed to and then the raw skin can become infected but as long as you take care of it properly it's fine.

That being said, this is a really personal decision. We are not having our son circed because NO health organization recommends it, it's been deamed a cosmetic procedure which is why many insurance companies will no longer cover it and it's his penis so he can have it done later if he wants.

Not my penis...not my choice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would get it done, uncircumcised men are sometimes more prone to infection and some men find it very uncomfortable.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• LADIES...If your going to answer the question at leasst do it with some correct information!!

About 45% of boys in the United States are NOT being circed and the number is rising everyday so there will be PLENTY of other little boys who are not circed in the locker room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son had his done when he was in surgery. He had a condition that one UTI could have killed him because the infection would have gone into his one working kidney. He was not circumcised so the surgeons and doctors told me that we should do it because its cleaner and helps prevent infections. I don't think i was going to get it done until i pretty much had to. I am glad i did though. In a healthy boy i think it should be the fathers decision. Ur boy might wonder why he is different then daddy if you don't.
    KimsBlake

Answer by KimsBlake at 12:27 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My husband's circumcision was botched so he is more uncircumcised than circumcised. It really isn't that big of deal. He's never had a problem with it as far as locker rooms and what have you. I mean if someone says something to a boy about his penis, I would think a good response of, "Why are you looking at my junk?" would shut them up pretty quickly. And the first time we were intimate I thought it looked kind of different, but it wasn't anything freaky. The only thing you have to watch out for is good hygiene. He pulls back the skin after peeing and wipes it down before putting it away. He's gotten a UTI once as a teenager and that pretty much taught him to be super clean about it. His mom gets UTI's a lot, though, so he could have inherited her tendency to have them. Either way, he's only gotten the one. We're having a girl, but we figure we wouldn't circumcise her so why would we circumcise a boy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• well for sure I wouldn't get it done while he's still unborn. That might hurt you both
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• As far as pain my son showed no signs of discomfort after 10 minutes, even during diaper changes. He stopped crying after 2 min. He's not going to remember it. It's going to hurt way more if he does it when he's an adult. We did it mainly because it would be easier for him to clean and dh is circumsized. It would raise a lot of questions when he got older tha how come he looked different than daddy.

In the end though it is a personal decision and more and more mothers are choosing not to.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Actually, I JUST googled it, and the percentage rate of uncircumsized boys is only 20% and it fluctuates between 75 and 80 % every few years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2009