• In the Spotlight:

when and how do i go about with maternity leave?

i am 28 weeks i would like to take maternity leave at the end of next month. i am a full time assistant manager at a retail store but its beginning to be too much for my body. when should i give notice to my boss and is there any programs to help me pay my rent while im out of work?

krystyna828

Asked by krystyna828 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Check how much disability you are eligible for, and what the requirements are for said disability. You may need to get a doctor's note in order to collect. Also check what your company's policy is on maternity leave and disability leave. You may be able to start with sick leave and vacation before having to go on disability.

Know that disability is only a FRACTION of your earnings...a large fraction, but a fraction nonetheless. And usually you can only collect for a limited amount of time; I believe it's three months here in CA.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would tell your boss right away. Put it in writing that says how long you plan to take, what date you will start and what date you will return. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself!
    I dont know about any programs to pay your rent, I have never heard of such thing unless you qualify for disability.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Depending on where you live, your paid maternity time may consist only of your unused vacation and sick time; once this time used, your employer is only obligated to hold your position (under FMLA) for 6 weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I know when I was pregnant and had short-term disability insurance, if I took more than the "normal" 6 weeks after the baby, I had to have a medical reason for it. I got 8 weeks because I had a c-section. In order to take off before the baby came, I would have had to be put on bedrest.

Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 6:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• All of the above are good ideas.
    You probably need to talk to your boss right away. I don't know where you work, but when I was pregnant and working at Walmart, they had a policy and paperwork and all that good stuff for maternity leave. They had a piece of paper you had to take to your doctor to get signed, then they had to have 1-2 months notice ahead of time. So if you think are wanting to take maternity leave soon, you need to give your boss the head's up, that way he is prepared.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:45 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You should be able to get your hours MODIFIED with a note from your Dr-that way you will get partial pay.
    The length of unpaid time depends on where you live. Some states are 16 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I decided to work as long as I can and I work for AMZN. I do not plan to begin my fmla until it's almost time to give me more time with the baby. You need to see how much short term disability you have. My job gives me 12 weeks with 8 weeks paid 100% of my base pay. If my doc puts me on my short term disability it pays 1/3 of my base salary. When I have Jasper, then they will pay me 100% of my base salary. That's why I love working for Amazon. I'm 33 weeks in and still working non-stop, since I do get restrictions, I can't do any mandatory ot. Which sucks really bad. It all depends on who your employer is and some employers are unwilling to work with you. Just talk to them and see what they offer.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 9:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2009