How do I introduce cow's milk to my son if I still want to breastfeed until he's two?

I've been breastfeeding him for a year exactly. Should I delay giving him cow's milk? If so or not what do you suggest?

NuMommy87

Asked by NuMommy87 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no dont delay if you want to switch off the breastfeeding. just alternate feedings slowly :o).Lots of moms are maybe going to say keep breastfeeding only but do what you feel is best for you and your baby. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If you pump, my doctor recommended to start giving bottles 1/2 and 1/2. If not, you could just start giving him sippy cups of milk with meals and snacks.
    fitchly3

Answer by fitchly3 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'm nursing to 18 months atleast and my dd gets 1 cup of cows milk every other day or so. I just give her a cup with it in it and she does good. You dont have to give cows milk if you do want to. :)
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 6:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Kudos for nursing until 2 years as recommended by the AAP and WHO!!!!

If you are still nursing there is no need to give cow's milk. That being said my daugther wanted to start drinking milk like her brother around 14 months old. She is still nursing at 24 months, but she also drinks cow's mik. Just put some in a cup and let him have it. If you pump you might want to try mixing it as someone else suggested, but my DD had no problem taking it straight from the very beginning. When it gets closer to the 2 year mark then you will want to wean him onto the cow's milk, but you still have a year to go if I read your post correctly.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• in a sippy cup, that way you can still breastfeed and he gets his milk
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Pump and mix.
    MommyRuby2008

Answer by MommyRuby2008 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had this same question when my breastfeed daughter was turning one (she is 19 months and still breastfeeding and I will continue until she self-weans).
    We drink cow's milk in our house, so I figured I would give her some since that is what she will be drinking when she is older.
    I started giving her a little in a sippy cup with breakfast. She gets about 3-4oz. of cow's milk a day and still breastfeeds 4-6 times a day as well.

Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 10:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It's up to you. I typically give them 1-2 cups of cows milk per day in addition to continued breastfeeding. However, there is no need to if she's still getting plenty of breastmilk. My second child was allergic to dairy until he was around 2yrs. so he only had breastmilk, water, and a little bit of juice. If you do want to go ahead and introduce cow's milk now, just give her a little from a cup at meal times and then continue to breastfeed as usual.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009