Do you drink in front of your children?

Just watched a video where a clearly drunk mother cussed, ranted and raved all while holding her infant child in one arm and an alcoholic beverage in another:(

lmsar

Asked by lmsar at 1:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• i dont drink. but if i did, i wouldnt drink infront of my child. thats a bad habit for anyone.. and specially for a child to learn at a young age..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I do on occasion. Like maybe once every two months or so. I never have more that one drink in front of them though.
    I think I am showing them to be responsible while drinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• When she was newborn I'd have a drink but she started watching too closely and instead of going for her water or milk she would reach for our drinks... so that stopped us drinking around her, and SO's deployed I haven't had a sip since he left. Maybe only becuase I need to be straight in case something happens I can take her to the er for whatever possibe reason since I'm the only person here..
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Being drunk and having a glass of wine are too different things. We don't drink often but on special occasions we will get a nice bottle of wine. My children have been taught that some things are for adults only, like driving, wine, sex....hopefully not at the same time...(sorry I read that as I was typing and it just looked wrong)

In all seriousness though, alcohol can be used safely and with guidance kids can be tought that.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i will have a drink socially or a glass of wine with dinner in front of my kids but not being drunk.
    my daughter knows that if mommy says she can't drink it she can't drink it b/c its a grown up drink, she has never seen me drunk and i think i've been drunk maybe twice since she was born and it was when someone else could watch her (once it was my husband the other time my mother b/c he was deployed) and i could enjoy myself and not worry that if something happened someone wasn't around who was sober
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I drink in front of my kids, they know alchohol is just for adults and we don't get drunk.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Ill drink in front of them but not to the point where Im sloshed, ranting, raving & cursing..considering my kids are the reason I drink, to de-stress a couple shots is cool, & I usually just mix it in a soda bottle so they dont know any better..
    ladypitbull66

Answer by ladypitbull66 at 2:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i drink, but i wont get drunk..i think its important to show responisble drinking
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I don't drink, I don't like it but if I ver chose to just to torture myself it would definetly not be in front of my kids. Thats not right at all and especailly if shes holding her infant baby she could have fallen over with the baby and the baby could be injured.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 5:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It's rare that I do drink, but I don't see anything wrong with having A DRINK in front of your kids. GETTING DRUNK in front of your kids is a whole other ball game, and I would never do that. But a glass of wine or small cocktail - responsible drinking - is fine on occassion. But if you're too drunk to drive a vehicle, you're way past being able to responsibly care for your child...
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 6:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2009