a little worried

my 20 month old son seldom responds to his name only says dada and hi, only follows some instructions. he babbles a whole lot, like if he's having a conversation, likes to "read" his books, he's seems normal to me except for the not responding to his name part. shoulde i be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wouldnt. since every child develops at dfferent stages but if you are worried which apparently you are just make an appt talk to his doc about what you think is going and he'll give you answers good luck! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Has he had his hearing evaluated lately?
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 1:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• oh, he hardly ever responds to his name but if I say "here" as if to give him something, he comes running.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• OP here. his ped. didnt do a hearing test. but when i tell him "get down from there" he'll do it. or if I say "here's a cracker" he'll come running.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my dd does that sometimes.... she's 19 mo and I KNOW she can hear me, but I think it's becuase they are learning more independence and to basically say "NO". Becuase I tell her not to do something, say her name like she better listen, and she keeps going.... but, if I'm downstairs or in another room and call her, she responds and comes running. Try calling him from another room or from the kitchen... becuase this situation sounds JUST LIKE my dd right now!
    I hope this helps!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son is 19 months and he doesnt talk either we get a dada or mama but nothing more than that i know he understands cuz ill ask him for his cup and he will had it to me or ill tell him to get his ball and he runs to get it but he just wont talk...his doctor said she would get him tested when hes 2 if he doesnt talk. Just give him time he might just be stubern and is not rady to talk.
    tristinsmommy

Answer by tristinsmommy at 2:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• OP here- thanks for all of your responses, my mind is a little at ease. I tried calling him from another room but he didnt come, but like tristansmommy if i ask him to give me something he'll do it. I'll do the same, we were thinking about waiting until he's 2 to get him evaluated, hopefully we wont be able to shut him up before that, lol. Thanks again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son is 17 months, and he seldom says things that we understand. He says dada, mama, and some other things, but for the most part, he just babbles. He talks to us and shakes his head like he knows what he is talkin about. Has she progressed in everything else at the right pace? Kids just develope at their own pace. I was worried about it too, and when i asked people about it, they told me it was normal. I am starting to see some prgress with my son as we go along, but sometimes they just cant get the words out. Alex understands things like, "here", and "go find your pacifier", and other things, he just cant say things back yet.....but i wouldnt worry yet.
    BrittanyShay

Answer by BrittanyShay at 10:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't wait until two. Have him evaluated now. The combination of not responding to his name and not talking would be concerns to me. Both can be signs of autism. I'm not trying to freak you out by any means but if there is a problem, the sooner it's dealt with, the better. My son wasn't talking at 18 months and we had him evaluated. he's been receiving speech therapy since then and is almost caught up. He might very well have done this on his own as well but it gave me piece of mind to be able to get him help. Good luck!
    Anonymous