How can I help a friend understand what she did was the right thing to do?

Last night I was out with a friend when we got a call from someone that was drunk and needed a rideshe asked me to come along and I do and the girl is fall down drunk crazy talking emotional etc and just reeked of it. She asked if one of us could drive her car and we said yes but when we get there she all wants to drive we block her in and try to keep her from going but she pushes past and goes anyways we followed her to make sure she was ok and she almost ran into two bridges on the way and at that point my friend called the police. She got a dui and is now lying to everyone about what happened. She was so drunk she didn't even remember me being there. My friend is feeling horrible for what happened and I told her it is better then her being dead or someone else being killed and I know it will take time,but how can I help her feel better about the situation she loves this person and just didn't want to lose them. now she did.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• just keep reassuring her that she did the right thing. as far as losing the friend, the friend will come around and realize that your friend was trying to protect her. if she loses her as a friend, than she just needs to realize she did what was best for this person and that person needs to grow up and realize it as well.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• She absolutely did thr RIGHT thing....sometimes people need to learn the hard way. It would be horrible if she killed a family or anyone while driving intoxicated. It's not worth dying for (alcohol) she needs to explain why she did what she did to her friend and let her know she was trying to save her life and the lives of innocent people.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 1:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Your friend did the right thing, and your other friend is annoyed, she wil get over it. But if she doesnt its on her.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 1:45 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• what all three previous posters said!
    Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 6:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Sometimes the right thing to do is the most painful thing to do.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• she did the right thing! She saved someones life. Weather it was her friends or someone elses life she did the right thing and I commend her for it. I think that maybe you should show her all of these postings and hopefully she'll see that many mom's from different backgrounds and different states are saying the same thing, she did the right thing! I want to thank you for it! There won't be any tears shed from that incident, no funeral planned from that drunen mistake! Thank You!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 7:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Actually, I would have tackled her to the ground and taken her keys or called the cops right then and there before she got in. But considering the circumstances, she did the best thing she could have at that moment. You two following her wouldnt have stopped her from killing someone. Your friend did the right thing by calling the police. This other so called friend will get over it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Maybe provide her a little perspective of what could have happened. Pull up pictures of alcohol related traffic accidents so that she understands that what you did was actually save her life and likely those of other people.

My question though, is why did it take the two of you so long to do the right thing? If she was fall down drunk and you watched her get in her car instead of tackling her to the ground or calling the cops first thing and she happened to kill a family of 4, how would you have felt then?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Your friend did the right thing, but I doubt the drunk woman will ever realize or admit it. Hopefully she will someday realize she is being a menace to society and clean up her act before she kills one or more innocent persons. I don't think tackling her to the ground would have been a good idea in any case though. They might have found themselves in jail for assualt.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• assualt charges are better than vehicular homicide or manslauter. If nothing is broken the charges can be dropped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2009