other options for pain relief?

I have decided to not have an epidural but I was curious to see if there are any other meds or techniques to help with the pain?

If you know of any meds they use, are they safe? Are there many side effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I havent been in labor yet. im prego with my first but my friends was telling me that she decided to use something to take the edge off and it made her feel HIGH so I dunno if thats the route you wanna go but It could make the contractions manageable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• There are LOTS of options.

The #1 thing I can recommend to you is to use Hypnobabies for your birth class and use the techniques for birth. Many women, including my doula, have had pain free or nearly pain free deliveries by using these self hypnosis techiques.

I'm taking the class. I'm due in 4 weeks and I have completely confidance that I'm going to have a comfortable birthing.

There are also different positions, herbs (ask a midwife or herbalist about which ones and how much to use), narcotics through the IV, showers and tubs (the warm bath is called the midwives epidural because it helps to remove so much pain!!!), and much more. Research natural pain relief techniques for a full list.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If you can be in the bath or shower, that's good.
    Someone to massage you.
    Lots of different positions.
    Birthing balls.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 1:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2009