anyone heard ever of the freegan life style?

tHE freegan society are the people that believe that main stream america is waste ful and they get all there supplies from the dumpsters and the garabe... i watched this show on taboo on national geograhic and i have also heard about them on oprah..and i think that i my self Might do that.i dont think i would eat the produce or the meat.. thats not something to joke abt.. old meat or produce can make one sick ;but why not mustard ; relish ketsup; ceral; boxed stuff or expired can goods.. am i crazy. lol . ill admit my dh thinks i am to say that i would dumpster dive.. i dont know yes its gross but also i can see why some might see america as really wasteful. thoughts on freegans??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i like free stuff in good shape Craigslist free
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I like free stuff too, but IDK if I would actually go dumpster diving.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• LOL...this is the first I have heard of the freegans...perhaps there are better routes though than getting your food from a dumpster?
    I would first see which restaurants (<------I can never spell that stupid word) and such throw away food at the end of the night. Like, I know at Starbucks, once pastries go expired we donate them to whoever will come pick them up.
    I think the freegans should get it together and set up a swap thing online...like freecycle.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes, we are waste full! Walmart is the worst! I know every store in this area that waste, my SO works in the garbage line of work. We know what everybody throws away on a reg. bases. The managers stand there and make sure it is chopped up. They are not allowed to keep it or give it away!!!!! When a toy is recalled inside the cereal boxes, they throw all of it away even though the cereal is still good. It would cost them more to take it out than scrap it and since Bush gave them the tax credits to do that, then they would rather mark it as a loss!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• yaa i wouldnt ever do that!! not for me!! sorry!! actually no, im not sorry
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My family's health is more important to me than free groceries. I would not eat, nor feed my kids, anything that was in a dumpster. Do you realize how many germs are in there?

For those of you who do not know, many people (especially the homeless) not only sleep in dumpsters, but as a security guard, I've caught them urinating and deficating in dumpsters. I would not eat anything that was in the same metal box that a homeless guy look a crap in! The feces might have been removed when the dumpster was emptied, but I can tell you that the garbage men did not sanitaze the dumpster, and they didn't even hose it out.

You can take those chances if you want to, but I won't for my family.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 9:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• BECAUSE IT WAS ROTTING IN THE GARBAGE!!! That's why not. Why don't you just start a self-sustaining homestead if you're that adamantly against waste and materialism? Raise your own food and survive with your own hard work, I guarantee you won't want to be wasteful. At least you wouldn't be living out of the trash.
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think this is a bit extreeme, but I do believe that people like this are ahead of the times. Our planet is sick and is getting sicker every day. People need to wake up! Even if we could just get it to where everyone HAD to recycle it would be a start! I am not a hysterical person, but I think we are headed for disaster if we don't wake up and start taking care of this planet.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2009