how bad does an epidural hurt?

i dont like pain so i wanna see wat every one says b4 i make my decision

youknowhowwedo

Asked by youknowhowwedo at 1:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had a labor and a section and two more sections and an epidural for each. The labor without the epidural was wicked bad unbearable and my sections with the epis were still painful but definitely bearable. The actual epidurals being given in terms of pain were more painful because of the fear of the labor and sections NOT at all because they epis were actually PAINful.

You lay on your side or lean on a tray table into a nurse to get an epidural. It stings and hurts a bit but is worth it if you want good pain relief. You should talk to an anesthesiologist ahead of time even if its' thought you won't have a c section. At least that's what my doctor who I labored with had me do even though later on I ended up a surprise emergency c section. Don't be afraid BE in control of your knowledge of choices. It's your baby your body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• A girl I've talked to said it hurt just like a body piercing.
    And compared to those contractions, you wont care.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 1:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• omg i had two epidurals.. bcuz the person that was doing it messed up, and i got one on my upper body and the other one for my lower body and i hate pain AND OMG DOES IT HURT. lol.. but i got a tattoo and lived lol..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i had a spinal tap i'm told its the same type of pain, and it was just a prick of a needle. i apologize now if i'm way off and it hurts alot more than that, but no one i have ever talked to said it hurt more than contractions
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• whats a spinal tap?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The contractions I was having at that time hurt WAY worse than the needle going in. :) After the epidural worked perfectly,(I was worried about a window of pain or some complication because I have that "i have have such bad luck" thing going on) I told the anesthesiologist that I wanted to hug him.
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 1:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• A spinal tap is when they put a hollow needle in your back to get spinal fluid to do tests and stuff
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 1:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My epidural didnt hurt at ALL actually. It was just a very odd feeling. Sort of grossed me out. but it didnt hurt at all, and definitely compared to contractions you won't care lol.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i dont remember my 1st epidural because it was done properly and almost pain free. but the anesthesiologist mangled my 2nd one. it all depends on your anestesiologist's experience and how well you can keep still. my best tip is to curl up as much as you can and keep still!!! try not to twitch, it's hard because it's your body's natural reaction to pain, but you'll have to do your best to hold still. good luck with your baby! if you can endure the pain, just do it. it's not that bad. i kept saying "pain is in your mind" and i was able to make it throug almost my whole labor without pain meds.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2009