What is it like going to a Baptist church?

I met one of my neighbors yesterday, she's really nice, and has a couple kids close to my kids ages....her husband is a youth pastor at the Baptist chuch in town, and she invited me to go with if I wanted to, to make new friends and I said I'd go....I"m actually Catholic (grew up not anymore) so is it totally different than that?

Asked by sweetmissy_05 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah, Baptists don't seem to be as strict. Some churches they dress up very nicely, and other you may come as you are. There seems to be a wide variety. We (my husband and I) are just Christian and go to a non-denominational church where everyone is invited.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If you grew up Catholic and are gonna try a southern Baptist Church I think your gonna love it! Be prepared for some serious Bible teaching, FROM the Bible and learning without all the rituals.

Answer by vbruno at 3:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It can vary from one church to another, but it won't be as strict as you're used to. We're independent Baptists, and the level of strictness vs. laid-back churches varies between churches.

Answer by bluiidmommy at 4:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Every church can be completely different. In my teens I went to a southern Baptist church that I like to call a "Don't cough" church. You know, the kind of church where you try to stifle a cough because it will disrupt the silence. But I also went to one with my aunt that was full of alternative-type people, motorcyclists, etc. So all can be different :)

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It depends. I'm a member of an Independent Fundamental Baptist church now, but I grew up Southern Baptist. There are so many different kinds of Baptist churches so it's hard to say what it will be like. But I promise you this it will be MUCH different than your Catholic church!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I belong to a fundamental Baptist Church in Rockford IL. They are VERY CONSERVITIVE. Our girls have to wear skirts past their knees and coulotts. Boys are expected to wear polos and dress shirts with ties. Women are not to wear pants, short or anything to resemble a man. Now, With that being said, I don't follow all the rules. ( I lOve capris) But, It is a BIBLE PREACHING church. There is no doubt in my mind that what is said in my church is true. We bring our Bibles and follow along with our Pastor. Every Word he preaches comes from our Bible. My Pastor is the only Pastor to lead our church and has been doing so for 55 Years. We have been Blessed to have him. I think you will be suprised at what a difference there is between Catholic and Baptist. I promise your eyes will open to a new experience. I pray you enjoy it!! Let me know what you think, Good or Bad I am curious.

Answer by macola5739 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I grew up in a Baptist Church. Still do. I love it and can't imagine worshipping in any other congregation.

Answer by Carebear38 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Catholics and Episcopalians tend to be the most traditional while Baptists are non-traditional. There is a completely different format and no rituals, priests, nuns or confessions. The differences are great.  Catholics even  use a Catholic version of the bible too. You really should just check it out. They worship Jesus and the same God and that is really what matters most. 

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I go to a southern baptist church and i love it. Most of the churches in my area are more laid back than some churches but we have a family friendly atmoshpere and worshipping is awesome.

Answer by willandbrismom at 1:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• For the record, I have been to Non Denominational, Baptist and Pentecostal churches and the Baptist church I go to now, is the best I've ever been to.

We are independent, fundamentalists Batists and even though some people, such as those who go to a Non Denom or Pentecostal church, may think our worship is a little dull (because we sing from the hymnal, not with a band with guitars and drums, etc) - I favor our style of worship over anything else in a church environment.

Like others have said on here, going to a Baptist church will be a lot better and different than going to a Catholic church. I've never been in a Catholic church, but all I've ever heard is that it's really dull there and you cannot feel the Spirit there.

Go and see how you like it....God is calling you towards Him now because He has had His follower ask you to go. Keep an open mind and heart and you will see what I mean.

God bless

Answer by godismystrength at 8:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2008