My 5 year old daughter just cut off all her hair

I mean, jaw length. She's never had a haircut, had hair down to the middle of her back. I feel so sad! She just turned 5 today so i was already upset my baby is growing up, starting kindergarten, and now she cut off all her hair and looks like a boy! Have any of your kids ever done this?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yup, and fixed it in a cute bob. I loved it. My youngest has never done it.
    I tell myself "Its just hair it'll grow back."
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 3:03 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No not yet. Can't wait to laugh about it. She has tried to shave her face before. She sees her father doing it, and last year she ends up making a superficial cut on her face. Scary.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 2:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• oh my goodness!! ive always been soooo scared of my daughter doing that..she is also 5, and her hair is all one length down to her bum..i would be heartbroken if that ever happened..my niece did that to her hair when she was 4, she gave her self some bangs..lol, some pretty ugly bangs..it was unfixable..luckily it does grow back!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I've done it as a kid! My bro (10 mos younger) and I made a deal that I could cut his hair and he could cut mine! I had hair down to my butt, and he cut it up past my hair! I gave him a bald spot in the middle of his head! It grew back but my mom was PISSED!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah... last Sept my almost SEVEN yo dd cut off the front three inches almost to her skull... cuz she didn't want bangs... she had a mullet for months... LOL I made that be her punishment- I didn't *fix* it! She finally now has bangs down into her eyes (the rest is to her waist). She has gorgeous golden/honey blond hair, but she is like her father in many ways and the hair was in her way. She didn't even regret (or think she looked silly for that matter!!) doing it!!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My oldest got a haircut by her best friend when she was about 2. She had to get a short, little boy haircut after that.

My middle child got a haircut when she was about 2 by her big sister who remembered playing barbershop with her best friend. It's just now chin length 10 months later.

We don't allow haircutting in the house anymore - their bangs are being grown out and everything. Scissors are next to impossible for them to get to. I have one more little girl and I am doing everything I can think of to spare her the fate of the little boy haircut.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 6:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes. My dd did that when she was about 4. Her and her best friend...my best friends daughter, got ahold of a pair of scissors and cut the sides of their hair. They had long blonde hair and when they got done, they looked lke they had a mullett. So we had to take them and have their hair cut off to their chins...like a bob cut. I thought it was funny, but my best friend sobbed for days. It of course grew out and they are 15 now.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• At least its not an inch long!! You can get it shaped into a short bob, which is super cute and easy to take care of!! My oldest did that when he was little, but it wasn't very traumatic for me. I just took him to my barber dad and had him fix it.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Two of my 5 so far. My son did and it took me a day or two to realize what was going on. He was around 5-6 yrs old. It was fall and I keep on thinking something was up, but not enough to really realize it. So finally I said "what is going on with your hair?" He said I cut the front(it was kind of short on the two sides of his bangs...he said "I wanted to look like Dracula for Halloween" So he cut the sides short so he would have the "widows peak" that Dracula has. Boys!
    The bad one was when I met my DH. His DD was only 6 at the time and had long blonde hair. I have short hair, cut kind of like Meg Ryan when hers is short. Anyway, she not only cut her hair super short but all her barbies hair as well. Her mom was freaking out. Then to add insult to injury she told her she did it because she wanted to look like me! Oooops!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2009