Now this IS a misuse of foodstamps!

I am not one to be mean towards people who need it , I know people hit hard times and need help but this was just gah it made me so mad to see it. I was at work last night (Im a cashier) at Vons and these 2 men come in with shopping carts full of 2 liter bottles of soda . There was 300 bottles total . They paid for it with foodstamps. No real food nothing , just the soda. Now I could understand a couple bottles or something but 300 ?? I see people complaining about someone using them for a bag of chips or something and I think they should get off their case . Something like this tho , I wish there was some way to have their foostamps taken away . There are people that could really use that money they wasted. Do you agree that this is a misuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• One time I saw a man buy $700 worth of groceries using food stamps (he was right before me in line is how I know) and I followed him out of the store to see him loading his groceries into a great big, "pimped out" Cadillac Escalade. I tell myself that he was the director of a foster home or some kind of youth at risk program. I have to hope that's what was going on because that really would just be completely ludicrous that a person could drive around in a vehicle like that and get $700 (or more) worth of food stamps.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i think you are making this up, and i also think its dumb to complain. if you dont like it, do something about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No I am not making it up , People buy things like that all the time and I have seen people go over board but not like this . If there was something I could do I would . I even talked to our store manager about it and he said he doesnt thing there is anything I or the store can do . Since I do not know their name then I cant even call DHS here and report them . So no in this case odds are there is nothing I can do about it .
    It is wrong for someone to misuse something like this tho . I dont see how I am making it up . Work as a cashier in a large city and you WOULD see people misusing foodstamps ALOT !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I work in the some kind of business and you would be suprised if you have seen what i have trust me My DH and I pay child support for two moms sitting on there asses collecting and they BOTH are able to work and we still get the phone calls that they need $$ for food for the kids. Talk about being ready to go thur the roof.
    Anonymous

• go to your state about the laws of misusing food stamps...

and i do work as a cashier in a large city thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes you are right there are people that need food and cant even get food stamps like me.. So i know what you mean..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree with you and in some states the count assistant office gets all the reciepts to show what you are using it for...some maybe that will come back to bite them in the butt later....
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 6:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Is it possible the men were from a shelter or youth group/summer camp program? I mean seriously, how much soda can one or two families really drink?

YEARS ago when I was a cashier, it was simple conversation to say something like "Wow, somebody sure likes their Pepsi!" (in a smiling, light-hearted way) And then the customer would say something like "Oh, it's not all for me, I am buying it for....." Clarified the issue easily and in a non-confrontational manner.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Who cares what they waste their free money on. They only get so much per month and if they want to drink soda instead of eat I guess thats up to them. I used to get all bent out of shape over foodstamps and welfare, but I've just come to the realization that there's nothing I can do about it. Its hard to see when you and me work so hard for our money and then uncle sam dips into our paycheck and hands it out to others, but once again what can you or me do about it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• They don't always drink the soda! I know a woman that buys lots of soda with her food stamps, then dumps out the soda and returns the cans for cash money.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2009