help me!

i have a 3 day old newborn and she has been breastfeeding for 3hours straight and wont fall asleep. she fusses when i lay her down, sucks her fingers like i havent fed her and wont take a pacifier. i am sooo tired i dont know what to do. help me please!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• walk and sing! That's your best bet. My son did the exact same thing when he came home from the hospital. It is a brand-new environment and there is actually dust in the air (gasp! I know, right) She is probably not comfortable. A great song to put babies to sleep to is Reba McEntire's If You See Him/If You See Her. I put that on and my son is out in a matter of minutes. If you know the words and can sing along, even better. But walk with her. Sing a slow song to her and bounce her a bit in your arms and she will go to sleep. Congratulations on the new little one!
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 5:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was told that a baby shouldn't be on the breast for more than 20-30 minutes, after they have they make a habit out of it and will be on it for hours. I had that problem with my oldest daughter and seriously couldnt do anything because I was "breastfeeding" all day. She would fall asleep after she was done eating and I would put my finger in her mouth, I'd start at the side of her mouth and take my breast out slowly and she wouldnt even notice. Really take her off after like 20-30 minutes after you have started she might cry anf fuss and at that moment rock her, sing to her take her outside maybe or put her in her swing. She'll get it, it may take a few days but ask for help also, from your family or significant other.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• This might sound weird but are you sure that she is getting milk from you. I mean enough milk? You could not produce alot of the milk or have a small amount of it. If shes fussy call her doc about it and see if they recommend something for her. you might have to do formula if you arent producing alot for her when shes hungry. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If she is suckling for hours at a time, it could possibly be that she is just needing to suck on something. Babies have a sucking reflex at that age, whether they are hungry or not. I went through that with my little girl. If she isn't really hungry, let her suck on one of your finger, or just let her suck on her own fingers.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• maybe she isnt gettting enough milk...if oyu have a punp, pump to get out 3 ounces and see if she does it
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Hang in there! You are doing the right thing by letting her nurse *constantly* right now. Has your milk come in yet? I would bet that it hasn't and she is working hard to bring it in! Try to lay down with her so that you can get some rest. Check out he info on How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• thank you everyone!! i ended up giving her formula that night as well during the day along with nursing and the next day my milk came in! thank goodness! formula sure did a number on her tho..just gassy and stinky...poor thing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jun. 26, 2009