Will she ever want to potty train???

Ok... so my DD is 2 years & 4 months old and she seems to be ready to be potty trained... she gives me signs, goes over 2 hours without going pee in her diaper...its just she doesn't tell me when she needs to poo. And when she tells me she needs to pee I will sit her on the potty (if she wants to) and she never goes! I think she might be regressing... I had a baby in September and before then she would go pee in the potty... now I am lucky if she will sit on the potty for me! I've tried treats and stickers with charts! And still nothing! Any suggestions?

AlijahMyAngel

Asked by AlijahMyAngel at 7:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All children are different but one thing's for certain...you can lead 'em to the potty but you can't make 'em go. My 1st was potty trained by 2 all on his own really so when my 2nd was 2, I started working with him. Sticker charts, treats, sitting on the potty every 30 minutes...you name it. He was not potty trained until he was almost FOUR. What was it that finally made it happen? HE made the decision that it was time. Honestly, I'd say you can either lay off for a while and let her take the lead or you can keep doing what you are doing. Don't make a big fuss at diaper changes. Do them quick and silent. Then make a HUGE deal out of using the potty. She'll realize she gets more attention when she uses the potty and that will be a motivator in and of itself.

I promise she won't be in diapers by kindergarten. I definitely thought mine was going to be.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Have you tried letting her pick out some undies? That was the key to my 3rd childs potty success. We went into the store and she picked out her very own big girl undies and when we got home we put them on and I explained to her that she needed to try really hard to not pee in her undies. Of course she had accidents but it made her want to stay dry. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'd agree with letting her pick out some big girl undies. That was exciting for my daughter. What really did it for her though, was when I bought her this little potty seat that sings when she pees on it. She just loved it! lol. I know some kids would rather sit on the grown up toilet than on a potty though. So if that's the case with your daughter, then maybe let her pick out her own child seat for your toilet. When my daughter was toilet training I made sure I never said anything negative if she had an accident and gave her TONS of praise just for sitting on the potty. I tried never to make the potty something negative for her. Good luck! It will happen eventually!!!
    MamaApril2

Answer by MamaApril2 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• around the time she poops everyday sit her on the potty until she goes, the when she does go, praise her like there is no tomorrow
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My daughter was 2 yrs and 4 months and pretty much potty trained. But that's when her baby brother was born. She completely quit using the potty. But she started back about 5 months later and has been potty trained ever since. So maybe it's the new sibling. I'd just keep encouraging her. She will learn.
    Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Never rely on a child telling you she has to go. And never ask her if she has to go. If she is happily playing or involved in something, she will delay telling you until it's too late and she will yell "NO" if you ask. Even if she is holding herself and jumping from foot to foot, she will still tell you what she wishes were true - that she didn't have to put down her fun toys and go and sit in the boring bathroom.

Simply take her on a set schedule. Eventually, she'll just start going on her own. But even then, keep an eye on the clock and make sure she tries if it's been more than 2 hours. And make sure she goes before you leave the house or if she is doing the potty dance.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Kaycee14, that's ridiculous. I ask my dd if she has 2 go all the time and 90% of the time she's telling the truth, she's only 2yrs old so I don't expect her 2 be 100% right now, and when she says she has 2 go she stops playing and goes 2 the bathroom.
    So bottomline don't tell her 2 never ask, by asking your teaching a child 2 communicate, that's a very important skill in life
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2009