"If God were small enough to be understood, He would not be big enough to be worshipped"

Agree or disagree with this quote? I know some won't agree,and that's fine, but I'd love for us all to keep the debate as civil as possible, I really want to hear some of the reasons why, from the ones who don't agree,as well as the ones who do agree with it,and I'd hate to see those reasons get bogged down in ugliness towards one another. Thanks in advance!

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Obviously, I agree wiht this statement 100%. It's one of the greatest things about God. His infinite mystery,and why He does what He does,and how. Makes getting to Heaven all that much greater, and hopefully then He will answer some of our questions. If not, I'm still grateful to Him, and will love and worship Him till the day I die.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree, but, if you think about it, it could really apply to any God that someone chooses to believe in. I know it applies to my Father and Mother God. And, obviously, they are not the same God(s) most Chritstians belive in.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You make a very good point there spiritguide. It could apply to any god.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree wholeheartedly... it's one of the reasons that I see God as energy rather than as a personified deity. I truly think that the gods and goddesses of human religions are efforts to make God a concept we can grasp rather than an actual representation of what God truly is like. I think that whatever higher powers or God(s) that he/she/it is all encompassing and thus very hard for our finite minds to understand.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes,I agree with both of you. Because I am a christian, I believe this to be about the God that I serve. The wisdom of men is the foolishness of God.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If god were all knowing and all powerful, why does he need/want the worship?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my2.5boys, He doesn't NEED or WANT anything. However, he is worthy,and deserving. At least to me, He is.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• How stupid... of course he NEEDS and WANTS to be worshipped he says so himself. So why then would something so perfect NEED someone to validate his awesomeness by worshipping and praising him?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• "my2.5boys, He doesn't NEED or WANT anything. However, he is worthy,and deserving. At least to me, He is. "

Why do so many Christians always say, then, that God only wants our love, that he is sad if we reject him, etc? That means he wants us to worship him.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I see it as a way to suppress questions.

There are so many unlikely actions in the bible that are considered miracles of God. How did Noah get all the animals on the ark? Miracle of God. How did Christ walk on water? Miracle of God. Resurrection to save all mankind? Again, miracle of God. Plus there is much ugliness, from slavery to mass murders throughout, all justified because it's in the bible.

Most christians believe these stories through faith. If anyone questions a miracle, your phrase simply explains God is too big for man to understand.

Lots of people will continue questioning, and some will lose their faith.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2009