How do I get my son to understand?

My son is 5. he just finished kindergarten. there are some kids in the nieghborhood, that have been having him do things that he shouldn't be doing. when asked why he does it he just says because they say they hate me if i dont.
So how else do I explain that they arent real friends if they make him do bad things? It seems like I am not getting through to him.

mandic

Asked by mandic at 9:24 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, he may not understand that at his age, lucky for you he is young enough for you to say he cannot play unsupervised. He is only 5 and gullable. Don't let him play at their houses, make them play at yours for the time being and watch them like you are a hawk. GL.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:34 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You don't really have an issue here imo. You can tell him all you want that those kids aren't his real friends. He may understand, he may not... one day he will. But right now, he's only 5... so don't let him play with them!! Don't let your kid anywhere near other children who you already know are being a bad influence on him. Teach him THAT right now. That he may not be happy with you for keeping him from them, but YOU are the parent and know what's best for him. Because trust me, when they're older and you really CAN'T keep them away from "those" kinds of kids, it will be a lot harder.
    7mom1977

Answer by 7mom1977 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• this age he cant.. he will have to just see what kinda ppl the really are, i also try to teach this but my almost 6yr old doesnt get it eather, sometimes hes the leader and i cant tell him enough that they are just out to see if he will do it.. im just as lost as you are.. man i cant wait till school starts back.. hehe
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• At 5, you don't try to explain it to him; even adults sometimes struggle to understand this. Just lay down the rule that he can't play with them or can't play with them without your supervision, and when he is older, then you can try to explain it when he has other friends like this; and he will. Hopefully these aren't the only kids around he can play with.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Are these children his age? If they are, I would keep him from them, if they aren't he has no business around them anyway. Let him know what is right and wrong period. Tell him if his so called friends say they will hate him or not be friends with him...then they aren't his friends to begin with.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2009