What do you know about Iran?

What do you know about the people of IRAN?
their lifestyle
religion
laws
elections .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband is Iranian. I know a little ;) They are a gentle, caring People.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 12:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think they are mostly Muslim. There government sucks,,not the people, the government. They do not have elections..As far as I know..I could be wrong. 

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• They have election and there is big possibility that Iran will have new President soon. People want change .There are 20.000 Jewish people living there I loved the Ann Curry's special about people of Iran, last nights Dateline.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Anon is right they are muslim. They have dictatership type govy. and they are having elections soon. There is a possibility of a new president but they people themselves do not expect much of any change. They reelect someone else when they ar tired of the current gov. and that is what is happening, most do not epect change wiht a new president matter of fact the new one is an old one that has had power before,plus once they get tired of that one they will reelect crazy tom again.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Read the transcript: Inside Iran
    www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31156949/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Ibelongtojesus

Please stop posting your stupidity! Go read the transcript or watch the show.You seems to be very uneducated person!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• See what happens when you insult someone else's intelligence? Proof read your own response.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It's ignorance, not stupidity. But when people choose to believe a lie instead of the truth that is right in front of them, it becomes stupidity/
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Iran was once known as Persia and was a battleground during the first world war when Russia battled the ottoman turks (allied with Germany)Iran (persia) was part of the ottoman empire) over oil. After the war a calvary officer overthrw the govt, named himself shah and changed the family name to Pahlavi. During WWII the shah tried to remain neutral but he was overthrown by British and Soviet forces and his son was installed as the new shah. He agreed to a treaty to allow allied forces to use the trans-iranina railway to ship oil. The brits treated Iran as a colony after that. Took their oil as their own and segregated the Britishoil workers and gave the people a mere pittance from oil profits and of course angered the iranians. Then in the early 50's (51 I think) A group of Iranian nationalists demanded an end to British control. Then The CIA at the request of the Brits sent Teddy Roosevelts grandson in to organize a coup.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:29 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Then about a quarter of a century later the ultimate unforseen outcome of the coup came about. 1979 hostages. And the Shah being forced out. he was allowed into the US by Carter for medical treatment and Carter refused to hand him back to the Iranians for trial. This was the beginning of a long history of fundamentalist movement who's anti americanism would ultimmatley lead to 9-11. That is the short version from my memory if you want details I suggest you read a book.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:34 AM on Jun. 8, 2009