What does a delayed / selective vax schedule GENERALLY look like?

My 1 yr old hasn't been vaccinated since he was 3 mo.
In all honesty I was torn about whether I wanted to continue vaxing or not.

Now he is going to go for the 1 yr checkup and before I talk to the doc about it I was wondering if any1 could give me an idea of how YOU vaxed on a delay or selective sched.

thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well that depends on which vaccines you decide to get if you are selectively vaccinating and how delayed you are. Dr. Sears has a good schedule. Personally I don't vaccinate at all, but we planned on a delayed schedule with my son at first. We were going to start at 2 years old and every 3 months go in for a shot and I was using Dr. Sears recommendations on which shots to get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was also going to recommend Dr. Sears book and his delayed schedule. I didn't delay my first child at all. He had everything on schedule. My second I started delaying around 6 months I believe. Both of my boys would get fevers with their vaxes but I found with my second that if I delayed and spread them out then he did not. With baby #3 I will be delaying shots and some such as the hept. ones not getting until she is older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• • 2 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
    • 3 months*: Pc, HIB
    • 4 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
    • 5 months*: Pc, HIB
    • 6 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
    • 7 months*: Pc, HIB
    • 9 months: Polio (IPV)
    • 12 months: Mumps, Polio (IPV)
    • 15 months: Pc, HIB
    • 18 months: DTaP, Chickenpox
    • 2 years: Rubella, Polio (IPV)
    • 2 1/2 years*: Hep B, Hep A (start Hep B at birth if any close relatives or caregivers have Hep B)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• • 3 years: Hep B, Measles
    • 3 1/2 years*: Hep B, Hep A
    • 4 years: DTaP, Polio (IPV)
    • 5 years: MMR
    • 6 years: Chickenpox
    • 12 years: Tdap, HPV
    • 12 years, 2 months*: HPV
    13 years: HPV, Meningococcal
    celticreverie

• The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears is a great resource. There is an article by Dr. Sears on-line at the La Leche League website taht has a lot of the info from the book. Childhood Vaccines Making an Educated Decision for Your Children

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Honestly, opting for delayed or selective vaccines means that any schedule is defined by the parents, and can be anything they want. We opted for "serious" vaccines - DTaP, MMR, polio, and refused to have more than one vaccine at any time, and no more than one vaccine every six months. Considering my son reacts to DTaP the way I do (huge swelling that takes more than a week to go down), we're glad we made that decision. We chose to avoid Hep B because we don't use any kind of daycare, and our sitters are only family members.

Dr. Sears' schedule is a really good one, if you want some professional guidance. Take it with you to the check-up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jun. 8, 2009