Why do you think God allows free will?

This question is for people who believe in God, of course. :)

beccare2000

Asked by beccare2000 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because he didn't build robots. We have the choice to either be willingly faithful to him or not. It also proves to Satan that we make the choice ourselves, rather than being forced.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think one of the reasons is that He wants to be loved. He has his angels that worship Him at all times. Love is not real, unless it's a choice that we make.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Because he does not want to be a dictator.

Answer by louise2 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Such great answers so far. And, I agree with them all. He wants us to come to Him, not by force. He's not going to force Himself on anyone,if we come to Him, it's of our own free will. Sorry, I'm still not 100% this morning, in my thinking, after yesterday, so that's all I'm gonna say.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I believe God permits free will because he wants us to come to Him willingly. It is Satan who wants us as prisoners with no free agency. If you look back through history, it has always been the evil ones who have taken away free will.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think it depends on which God you are refering to. My Gods all allow for free will. They do not require my faith and love and thus they have earned it from me.

I will, however, assume that you are speaking from a Christian stand point, to which I would say, no. Jehovah does not allow free will. He requires your faith and fellowship whether you want to follow him or not. If he did allow for free will there would be no threat of "punishment" for not following. He would love you unconditionally as a parent should.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If your God knows the future, that would mean that the future is already set and your lives are pre-determined. Therefore you have no free will. The choices you think you are making are only the ones your God already knows you are going to make- so therefore choice is an illusion.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• im just curious, doesn't your bible tell you why?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Because without free will, there wouldn't be any faith.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• "If your God knows the future, that would mean that the future is already set and your lives are pre-determined. Therefore you have no free will. The choices you think you are making are only the ones your God already knows you are going to make- so therefore choice is an illusion."

Agreed.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2009