How do you break a baby of wanting held constantly?

My 5 mo. old wants held all the time! He won't let me put him down for two seconds, while I tend to my 2 yr. old. This has been going on the past two wks. I have to bounce-walk him to get him to sleep. He is teething but other than that, he has no ailments. How do I break him of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For one thing, he is also at a stage where he is suffering some separation anxiety. Get yourself a baby carrier, like Bjorn or Ergobaby, and strap him on. It is beneficial to both of you to be near one another. Forcing him aways from you too much tells him that you aren't reliable to meet his needs. It won't be long before he wants to be away from you more and you'll be missing the snuggles.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You don't *break* a baby of the need to be held. You find a way to get things done and hold him at the same time. If you try to force independence on him before he is ready he will only cling tighter!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Get a sling, they are a lifesaver for busy moms with a securely attached baby.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Why would you want to break a baby of a basic need? Get a carrier and take him with you. You can't force a baby to be independent. At 5 months old that's not something they need anyway. Let your baby need you. Babies only need us for a short period of time.

RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 11:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009