Is there an other way to deal w/ my dogs shedding?

she cant help it & i know, but her sheding is driving me insane, the hair is so much & its every where. I sweep 2-3x a day & i get piles of hair. we got her from the pound as a puppy, they said she was a lab mix, but she looks more like a German Shepard mix. with long hair. what can i do to lessen the hair in my house

NiekaC

Asked by NiekaC at 9:57 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Brush her twice a day.....make it a fun family thing or maybe a chore that your young ones could do as well.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• buy the furminator,( I think thats how it's spelled) brush them twice a week with it you will get so much hair out and they wont shed like the used too, You can get it cheapest at KV vet.com
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 10:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I feed my dog omega 3 oil and it helps with her shedding. But I agree brush, brush brush.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think they have special shedding brushes to use... go get one of those, should help at least a little.
    I feel your pain, I can't stand it when animals shed alot... none of my dogs do, but my black cat, holy crap, it looks like he sheds more hair than he even had!
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:40 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• When I take my Husky to Petco for a bath they add a sheading treatment to her and it REALLY helps!!
    determind

Answer by determind at 8:12 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I used to use a shedding brush on my border collie/lab mix and it really helped a lot. Not only did it get a lot of the hair off the top coat, but it also pulled more out from underneath the top coat. There was still some shedding in the house, but it was greatly reduced. I agree with the above as well....brush as often as possible.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 12:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Get their hair shorten or shaven for the summer or while they shed.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Again 1 word FURMINATOR. Look it up on the internet.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• I had a sheltie once and she shedded so much, especially a certain time of the year it got really bad. Anyways i brushed and brushed and bathed her and brushed as i blow dried. But still i couldn't get it right. So i started taking her to the groomer. And world of difference. I guess they just know what there doing. becuase when i would get her back i wouldn't have near the hair for a while and then i would just take her again. That is all that helped me.And sometimes hers would be like in clumps of hair at a time.
    Anonymous

• Hi - Shedding and dry coat:

Boy, I feel your pain:

First - buy a de-shedding tool or a rake to get the Under coat -  If you don't want to do this - take your dog every 3-4 months to a groomer for the Furminator De-shedding Brushing and shampoo - they will strip down the undercoat for you...A big messy job and may be worth the pay to have a groomer do all the work...

NEXT - some good supplements for skin and coat : Please give 2 nuvet wafers per day in the spring and summer - other colder months just give 1 nuvet wafer per day:

NuVET is holistic and not sold in stores ; I can be your referral : call 1-800-474-7044 and tell them pet Nurse Marie sent you and use code 81098

see here:   http://www.nuvet.com/81098

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 9:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2009