How old was your little one..

How old was your little one when you started them on cereal? My DD will be 3 months on the 11th and I've been BF since day 1. I've noticed that she's nursing a WHOLE lot more and she still seems hungry. Should I start her on cereal?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope, you're doing a great job if she's only BF. They don't need solid food at that age. It will just be less nutrional filler. If you think you aren't making enough milk there are a ton of ways to increase your supply. Try fenugreek or mother's milk tea.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 10:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• NO! 3 months is a typical age for a growth spurt! Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Great info on this at http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The more frequent nursing will increase your supply. You don't need to take fenugreek or mother's milk tea.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I started both of my boys on cereal at three months, and with my first one I was only breastfeeding at that point. It's your choice, you're the parent! If you feel that she is eating more, try introducing her to cereal.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My boys were also in a constant growth spurt. Not every few weeks, constant!
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• What I have learned is to listen to what your baby is telling you and not worry so much about what everyone else is telling you. Your the mom. If you think you should introduce cereal then I say give your baby cereal. I did at that age and my baby is just fine and has been on baby food since alittle before 4 monthes old and she is healthy happy and growing beautifully! Good luck :)
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It sounds like she's going through a growth spurt. I would hold off on the cereal for now. Just breastfeed as often as needed to keep up w/ your baby. I started my boys on cereal/solids at about 5-6mos. At only 3mos. babies can not digest anything other than breastmilk and/or formula. The AAP and WHO recomend exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months, at which point you can introduce some cereal or other solids.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2009