Why should abortions be "safe, legal and rare."

I hear pro-choice politicians (like Obama and Hillary), use this phrase. If abortion is only the removal of tissue and not the taking of a life, then why should it be rare? If a life is not being ended, then it should have no more significance than getting a hair cut or having a tooth pulled. If it IS the taking of a life, then why should it be legal? If it ISN'T the taking of a life, then why should it be rare?

blessedwith12

Asked by blessedwith12 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Seriously, the abortion debate is getting really old and lame and people are getting tired of it. Why don't we stop and go out and do something about what we can change. I'm not for it either but everyone interprets these things differently and they don't all need to be argued about. I'm going to get of the computer now and be with my children and tell them how much I love them before I go to work today....
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think that is a good point.They know it is really ending a life that is why.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It should be rare because it is a medical procedure and comes with risks, just like anything else. You cannot compare getting a haircut to an invasive procedure. Sorry, but I don't believe that ANY invasive medical procedure should be entered into lightly.

It should be safe and legal because there ARE circumstances in which it is warranted.

I don't think anyone LIKES the idea of abortion. Whether or not we agree on whether or not it is a life, it is undeniable that an implanted embryo eventually becomes a baby.

We just LIKE the idea of a woman having control over her body. And that includes being able to tell your husband you don't feel like it tonight, it includes the ability to use birth control and it includes the ability to decide whether or not to have a baby if you become pregnant and there are circumstances where you feel you cannot continue the pregnancy.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• What the ability to use SELF control? Ifin one does not want a baby the right thing to do would be DON'T do the thing that could make one pregnant not kill the life AFTER one has gotten themselves with baby.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• about*
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I like the idea of a woman having control over her own body UNTIL she creates another life and then decides she doesn't want it.
    I don't see politicians campaigning to make breast implants, tummy tucks, face lifts, hysterectomies, tubal ligations, or gall bladder surgery more rare because of the risk of the operation.
    If we admit it is a life, but fail to protect it, how safe are the rest of us?
    blessedwith12

Answer by blessedwith12 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would say its better than unsafe, illegal and common.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'm talking about the instances that are outside the perimeter of "self control". I think we can all agree that if a woman doesn't want a baby, steps should be taken to ensure that a pregnancy does not occur. Married or Single. Birth Control or Abstinence...

I'm talking about a baby who is diagnosed with a fatal disease or deformity. I'm talking about women who are raped or molested. I'm talking the "rare" instances in which a woman should be able to make the choice. THAT is why it must remain safe and legal, and why it should be rare.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I don't believe in the death penalty for children who have disabilities or for children whose fathers are rapists. But, if we did make it illegal except for those sad instances, don't you think we could eliminate 90% of abortions. However, most politicians like Hillary and Obama are opposed to any restrictions on abortions - even things like transporting minor girls across state lines for abortions.
    blessedwith12

Answer by blessedwith12 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yep, we'd eliminate MANY abortions. that's why it should be rare. I also think it should be within the first 12 weeks, perferrably within the first 6 before the heart begins to beat. I found out with all of my pregnancies betwen 3 and 4 weeks. That would give me 2-3 weeks to make a decision. If you don't want the pregnancy, you'd know as soon as the stick turns blue (so to speak).

The biggest problem with making abortions illegal except for the circumstances is that it is hard to prove rape. Especially if the rapist is someone you were dating or your own husband. Sometimes there is damage that proves it and sometimes there isn't. I also know that many women don't report it. I didn't when it happened to me.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2009