Cervidil to induce

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure what your question is about it but I can give you some information on it.

Cervidil is derived from pig sperm and works just like human male sperm to soften and ripen the cervix. It's often used in conjunction with Pitocin but sometimes Cervidil is the only thing needed to get things going.

Many women are able to have the gel placed on the cervix and then go home to await labor to start.

Cervidil is a MUCH safer choice than Cytotec.

Cytotec is NOT FDA approved for use on pregnant women and warns on the box it can cause excessive bleeding during delivery and uterine rupture. MAKE SURE THEY ARE ACTUALLY USING CERVIDIL AND NOT CYTOTEC.

These drugs are different and they do NOT work the same way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I also wanted to add that you can use it in conjuction with Nipple Stimulation to stimulate contractions after the Cervidil has had some time to work to avoid being given Pitocin which can sometimes hyper stimulate the uterus.

An alternative to Cervidil is having intercourse and then taking a long nap afterwards to allow the sperm to set on the cervix and do it's job. When you wake up have intercourse again and lay there for at least 30 minutes. Have intercourse as often as possible.

My doctor started talking about inducing me but my cervix wassn't ripe so my DH and I have been having LOTS of intercourse. My cervix is now dilated to a 3 and 50% effaced. Now if we have to induced it's more likely to be sucessful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• don't use it, it's awful. let your body go into labor on it's own.
    Anonymous

• I had Cervidil with my first pregnancy... They placed it at 7pm, I was dilated to 2 and no thinning what so ever. By 3am I was having contractions. It just started out like period cramps and slowly got more painful and more painful. By 7am they started the pit. I delivered at 6pm that day! The cervidil helped A LOT. I don't think they really even needed to start me on Pit. I had a good experience with the cervidil.... Hope that helps!! Good Luck!
    Crystal_C_03

Answer by Crystal_C_03 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009