Do you think schools should encourage English as a second language?

My son goes to a school the is mainly Hispanic. There are classes where the teachers just speak Spanish to their students. Do you think that the school should encourage this? Or should the students be spoken to in both languages? Or just Spanish?

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• English should be the primary language.

Students should be learning it and only be spoken to in their "home" language when absolutely necessary.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i think they should speak to them in both languages. the hispanics can learn english and the english speaking students can learn spanish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No. Assuming you live in the US, English should be the first language. If you can't speak it, you shouldn't live here and go to school here. Actually, what I believe is that its ok to live here if you don't speak it, but you should learn. Therefore, English should be taught as the primary language. If Spanish is the first language, they are making no attempt for English to be learned. Its pitiful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Heck yes they should!! This country was formed with one common language so we could all communicate and that language is English! It was just 50 or so years ago that they decided to teach in other languges to help the students but was never intended to ignor English.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The classes where the teachers speak mainly Spanish are Spanish emmersion classes. Also, most of the schools in my disctric have ESL classes where they start out in all Spanish then move onto all English. But, yes English should be encouraged.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• A lot of the ESL kids I went to school with barely spoke English in the 7th grade, and when we graduated high school, they all ended up speaking perfect English. The schools I went to must've been doing something right.

When I learned Spanish (just by taking Spanish class, I wasn't in a special immersion program or anything), I became friends with a lot of them because they were surprised I spoke Spanish well, and we were able to communicate, period. With the Asian ESL kids, I also observed a lot of improvement in their language skills. I was an ESL tutor in college (because I was and English and Spanish tutor as well) and we encouraged not only speaking English well, but also reading, writing, and understanding literature.

When it comes to learning Spanish however, it's helped me greatly in my personal life and in my career and in my opinion, it's beneficial to any student who is willing to learn it.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 11:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Actually I think they should consider speaking English the goal. After all if you want to be Aan American citizen you need to speak English. Kids who need to learn English already know Spanish so schools need to start out at preschool or kindergarten teaching them to speak English. Thats what school is for. They can speak Spanish at home if they want.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If the child is going to school in th U.S. thay need to speak English.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Most schools have ESL classes in which they are taught English, and spoken to in Spanish when needed to reinforce or clarify questions or points. By the way, there has never been a official language declared in the United States for some reason, therefore there has never been anything stating that you MUST learn English to immigrate here. That point aside, I believe that if you do not know English, you should try and make an effort if you plan on living in the US. It's sad that some people never care to. I can't imagine for instance, moving to South America and never attempting to learn Spanish.
    Anonymous

• if you live in the united states English should be taught to all of the kids in school. how are you helping these students succeed if you cater to them each and every time they have a difficulty.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009