Do you let your child watch cartoons?

When i was pregnant, i vowed that i wouldnt be one of those moms to let my child sit in front of the TV. But, he loves Dora the Explorer, and the Backyardigans. He loves the singing. Its the only thing that he sits down for. I dont let him watch it alot. But he seems to love it. Do you let your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let mine watch whatever whenever.....it did not make him fat or dumb or only want to sit inside all day. He is thin, healthy and is one of the brightest kids I know. He had very good communication skill starting very early. He was able to speak full paragraphs/conversations starting at 18months. He still would rather play outside than sit inside and watch t.v. or play video games. Yet, he has never had a time limit or any restraints put on him. I have never harped about it. I did however soend other quality time with him as well, taught him the importance of playing outside and talked with him about everything he watched and made it a learning experience.

I don't mean to go on a tirade, I just hate when some people..like ones I assume will post, decide that all kids that are allowed to watch t.v. before age 2, or at all...become mindless, fat couch potatoes or can not develop verbal skills.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yeah, i know. I have been critisized for letting him watch cartoons so early. My hubbys nephew watches the action cartoons and they did start to have an impact on him. He started to take his toys and hit them together and make little hitting noises. He doesnt do it anymore...but he does love the other cartoons...so i dont feel bad about it. He still loves to go outside and stuff.
    BrittanyShay

Answer by BrittanyShay at 10:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Our 20 month old watches a half our of either 'Bear in the big blue house' or 'Barney' - while I clean the livingroom every morning. That's her lot for the day.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• *half hour* sorry, lol.
    ladysavage

• My son watches cartoons. He likes Dora, Diego, Backyardigans, Batman, and of course all his movies. He doesn't watch them 24/7 but he does enjoy watching for part of the day while I am doing things around the house!
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my 13 months month son doesnt watch cartoon for for a mintue or too when there music on it and he dances to it
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes, my kids watch those shows too. Usually Noggin or Disney shows. Just yesterday DD4 asked me if I knew what the dump was, then she said its where we take the recycling. I asked how she knew that since we have our recycling picked up curbside....she answered, "Franklin" LOL. Cracks me up. She also has an impressive Spanish volcabulary thanks to Dora.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my son is watching special agent oso right now. he loves handy manny and mickey mouse clubhouse. At night I let him watch the sprout channel w/chicka and Nina and star, she teaches sign language, really cute. Oh he also loves Imagination Movers. probably about 2 hrs in the morning after breakfast, that gives me enough time for me to eat my breakfast, and clean up a bit, then it's play time. works out great.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• FWIW, I would never be able to shower if it wasn't for Dora or Wubzy!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Dogma interferes with thoughtful mothering.

If there seems to be a problem, seek the source of the problem and deal with it in the best way you can find. If there doesn't seem to be a problem, resist listening to the voices of dogmatic righteousness in your world -- it's not right, it's just opinionated.

TV is a neutral tool -- what is done with it is where the problems start. Try to avoid creating 'goodness' in one form of entertainment and 'evil' in another, and watch your children for signs that this is healthy or this is not healthy.

There is nothing magical about half an hour that makes that an okay amount of time to be totally zoned into the tv, and then obsessed for the rest of the day with how to get more, anymore than having it ignored-but-on all day is terrible for young minds and bodies.

Children are not equipped to deal with issues alone, that's all. TV is a poor babysitter, but can be a good pastime.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2009