plane trip at 2 months??

My baby is going to be born in September 17th (God willing) and I usually spend the holidays with my mom in Florida (I live in NY) but because this is our first Christmas with the baby and my fiance can't travel because of work, I promised my mom we would fly down for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas and that way she gets to see the baby. The baby will only be a month and a half.... I'm looking for some mommy opinions on the situation. Of course I'm going to consult the doc, but I want some mommy opinions on this as well. Has anyone traveled with the baby that young?? I don't plan on leaving the house at all with the baby before that time.

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 10:55 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse during takeoff & landing or provide a pacifier. The sucking will help keep baby's ears clear. Allow others to help you on the flight. Flight attendants are most likely prohibited from holding the baby but your fellow passengers might help if you need a pee break. Plane bathroom are very tiny & there are little changing tables but it is about impossible to pee yourself & hold the baby. Arrange for your parents to meet you at baggage claim so you don't have to deal with suitcases. And if baby doesn't have her own seat, remember to bring her car seat as luggage unless your parents have one. Mostly, keep calm & have fun. My DD did great on the flights I took. Most people didn't even know she was there. And unless there are other health concerns, you can take your baby outside before 2 months! You will have doctor appt's, right? Air & sunshine are good for baby. Congratulations! PM me if you need more help!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I traveled from Seattle to Amsterdam when my DD was 2 months old. It was a great trip. Here are a few tips: If you can, breastfeed. That way you can feed or demand & not have to deal with bottles & formula. Plus, if the flight gets delayed, you don't have to worry about having enough food! Carry baby in a front pack unless baby is getting their own plane seat, then use a car seat/stroller combo. Carry a backpack as a combo diaper bag & carryon for you. Have a small purse that you can slip inside it. Put your bag & front pack in the overhead compartment & keep out a smaller bag with a blanket & a couple diapers & put that bag at your feet. That way you can do a quick diaper change on the plane without getting into your big bag but it is there if you need it. If you need more luggage, check it. Allow extra time as you will have to take baby out of the front pack or stroller for security. Con't...
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 8, 2009