how to introduce my baby boy to my alternative type of relationship??

after me and my sons father split up i got back with my old girlfriend who i am deeply in love with and always have been but when i got pregnant i figured i should give the guy a chance. needless to say it didnt work out and she took me back. my son is only 8 months old but im concerned about how to introduce him to this.... any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• live the lifestyle. That's introduction enough. You don't have to explain anything. My father was gay and I just grew up accepting of other lifestyles. He didn't have to introduce me in any other way than living his life. Be an example.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If he sees you sleeping with a girl in your bed his whole life I guess that is a big intro. You can always tell him all families are different some have a mommy & daddy, some have 2 mommies or 1 mommy. the worst part will be that he may get picked on at school when he gets older.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'd make sure to be in a church that's supportive of your gay relationship no matter where you've been going or even if you've not been going. Being in an accepting church of life's countless kinds of familes are so important. Weekends and playgroups and Sundays and weekday gatherings all come out of that. And try to live in a town neighborhood with different kinds of families. Are you a member of a gay support group? Go to them often. My son's friend is gay and he is welcome in our home any time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If you are with her, then I would think there's no need for an introduction. To me, introducing someone to something like a gay relationship is what you do when they've never been around it, and have no familiarity with it. To him, if you're with her from his infancy, it will be as normal as any straight relationship.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Live your life as you are and he will just grow up with your lifestyle. If he has quesitons, he will ask them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i think hes young enough that if you just kept it going he is going to except it when hes older. you might need to explain some things like the other person said some kids have 2 moms, 2 dads, some have 1 or both. but hes only 8 months i dont think its going to effect him in a bad way or need explaining. just bring her around your child often enough that he gets to know her and loves her too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree with the others. You don't need to explain anything to him. He'll understand it because that is what he is going to grow up seeing. You might get a question here and there, but just say that all families are different and that doesn't make them any worse or any better than anyone else. What he sees will be the norm to him.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Like other people said, he doesn't need to be introduced to it, he will just grow up thinking "Hey, I have two mommies who love me and that's fine with me!" When he's a bit older I would definitely make sre hat you have some support and a plan in place for when he starts realizing that your kind of relationship is not the norm. That way you aren't scrambling when he comes home from school one day and asks why all the other kid's moms are with daddies and you are with another mommy.
    EricaG87

Answer by EricaG87 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• HE IS TOO YOUNG TO HAVE TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING, KIDS ARE RESILIANT, HE WILL ADAPT WELL.

Answer by older at 1:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009