Experienced mommas, I need your advice!

Ok, I know someone already asked the airplane ride question, but I didn't see any replies and that baby is much younger than mine. Next month my son (who will be 7 months old) will be going on his first plane ride to see his grandparents :] I just want to know what to expect? What should I bring besides the basics? Is it ok to give him some baby tylenol to help him feel better if it gets too out of hand?

ours

Asked by ours at 11:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took my son to Florida when he was 6 1/2 months and this week we're going back at 9 months. He was awesome during the whole trip. I will say if you are traveling alone, bring as little as possible on the plane! If you're bringing formula put all liquids in a clear zip lock bag and put it out in a bin by itself, including the Tylenol. For changing him at the airport I put everything I would need in clear zip lock bags so when I got to the bathroom I just pulled it out and had everything in one place. Disposable changing pads were awesome! I bought a few new toys -- $1 store is great for this -- for him to play with. If it's new, they spend more time with it. Try to have him eat when taking off and coming down, however, what I'm going to try this time is to bring a wet washcloth and let him suck on it, in case he's not hungry. My son slept both ways for at least an hour on each leg. Just relax! It'll be fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I flew with my son when he was 2 months and 4 months. He didn't need any medication at all and he slept in my lap both times. I just made sure he was sucking on something when we were taking off and since he didn't use a pacifier it was my finger lol but it worked. I would just make sure they bring his favorite toys and make sure they are good on formula since you never know about unexpected delays and he will most likey be fine and sleep for most of the ride!
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• with my first daughter she was 4months old we went to ireland 18 hour trip, she did great make sure he has soemthing to suck on,
    i took my 2nd child to idaho from orgeon 1 hour flight, she fell asleep befroe we took off, they change the air in the plane so that the babies fall aslepp, it will be ok, bring a few toys but other then that you are good to go, if you are formula feeding you can take the can in the diaper bag, if you have a bottle already amde they willask to check it and let them, you do not have to put them in plastic bags, i fly 3-4 times a year with 2 kids i know hope this helps!
    MammaSherry

Answer by MammaSherry at 12:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It helps if you can time the flight for times when he's either going to be totally awake or completely zonked.

Small children have much smaller ear passages, so the pain of pressure changes is much more extreme for them than for you... so it's important to have something he can safely suckle while taking off and landing.

You will be much more comfortable, and your son will be safer, if you buy the extra seat for the car seat and plan to have him in it for much of the flight -- those chairs are cramped enough with just a mom body, without adding the clutter of stuff and the baby's body to the problem. Especially now when flights almost always fly full.

Another suggestion I recently read is to check if there is an upgrade possible when you get to the gate -- it's about $150, but you could not only end up in business class, but you could get a whole row to yourself up there -- where seats do still tend to go empty.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2009