Help! 4 month old son won't sleep anymore!

My son started sleeping 6 hours at 6 weeks old and has continued to sleep through the night anywhere from 7-12 hours a night and never woke up at all. For the last week he has been waking up 3-6 times a night and won't go back to sleep until we rock him to sleep only to wake up 2 hours later. He isn't hungry because when he is hungry nothing will calm him down, so I'm at a loss as to why all of a sudden he is waking up at night. I checked for signs of teething but there are none. how can I get him back to his good sleeping habits?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Elizabeth Pantley "The no-cry sleep solutions". This book helped me a lot to solve this problem.
    Bryans_Mom

Answer by Bryans_Mom at 11:16 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• There is a gel for teething you might not feel them yet but baby can .And baby wants to be entertained also put the crib next to the TV and put lulluby movies on for the baby soothing sounds and colors with motion help distract baby .or maybe baby had colic make shur you birp you baby well or buy the Dr browns baby bottles they helped me alot with my baby girl.Also check the baby's bowl movements baby can be constipated also giving the baby abdominal pain .While your holding your baby lay him on your chest and gently rub his back lay him in the crib replace the baby blanket with your shirt the smell is also very soothing to baby;s
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i had the same problem with my 8 month old a few weeks ago and i took him to the doctor because he had slept through the night since about a month old. the doctor said he had allergies that were congesting him in his sleep and when he laid flat so now he's on allergy medicine and i put a blanket under the top part of his mattress so he is elevated and he's been sleeping through the night again. but i had to keep him up during the day for the first day so he would be tired at bed time i also started letting him sleep with a humidifier.
    KDW10_7_08

Answer by KDW10_7_08 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Welcome to my world. My 13 week old has never, ever slept for more than 4 hrs. in a row. She's ebf and can't go too long without eating. Recently she's been sick and gotten up several times a ngiht, just when I thought we were on a doable schedule. I think as parents we tend to think "oh my kid sleeps through the night, I"m in the clear." But I realize that we never are. We'll just never sleep again!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:39 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• At some point, usually between 2 and 5 months, babies lose the 'off' switch that used to make them go to sleep no matter what else was going on. Then they have to learn how to go to sleep, how to release the overstimulation from the day, and what feeling tired is.

Add that to the changing growth patterns chlidren have as they age, and you can only deal with life as it comes. Do you know he's not growing extra fast in the night and is actually much hungrier --and in need of much more food this week -- than he was last week?

My kids sleep through the night, as far as I know. They don't wake me anymore... so it's not forever danielp.

The other thing I've noticed is that of all the 'poor' sleepers who don't arrange their physical reality so suit our social conventions, not one of the babies is ever sleep-deprived. Moms almost always are -- but the babies are fine. So one of them is doing something wrong...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• He's waking at night because that's what they do. Any sleeping pattern in year one should be considered temporary; they change them as often as you change diapers. Sometimes it's teething, sometimes it's tummy upset, sometimes its NOTHING at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2009