If you don't have an epidural what are some other effective pain relief methods?

I would like information on both natural methods and medical methods of pain relief when an epidural is not used.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They have a med called Nubain which is supposed to take the edge off a little bit. You can also use the spa tub if your hospital offers that
    madelines_mom

Answer by madelines_mom at 11:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I just used breathing and lots of encouragment from Hubbie, my Mom and my nurse. I also labored on a birthing ball, being able to rock and swivel my hips.
    I would also encourage walking or taking a shower or bath to help relax you. Just experiment with different positions and practice deep breathing.

I didn't use any type of medical pain relief---labor is hard work and painful, no need to lie about it being painful. You just have to have the confident mindset (I went into that hospital KNOWING I was going to have a completely natural labor) and use relaxing techniques to help you through the labor.

GOOD LUCK MOMMA!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• hopefully i will be able to answer your question in a couple of days. i'm 41 w & 1 d pregnant. i had a c-section with my first and am trying an all natural hypno-birthing VBAC. i will use breathing and meditation along with massage from a doula and support from hubby and mommy.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I only got nubain with my first and i helped for about 2 hours and with my 2nd i tried it and it didnt work and so i tried and epi and it made crap worse didnt help at all just made my back hurt. Just breath and walk and eat lots of ice chips i moved my hips and took really hot showers tell i went to the doctor
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I used water. For the first a hot shower and the second the hot tub at home until I was about ready to push. It was a god send. The warm shower spraying on my nipples in between contractions to stimulate more contractions and then on my belly while having the contractions! It was great.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Check out hypno-birthing... I recently read an article by a woman who took the class and listened to the CD for months, and had a completely painless birth.

Mine were both mostly painless -- intense, physically hard, but not what I think of as pain. Muscle work, like powerlifting weights, more than pain like stubbing a toe or getting cut. The last 20 minutes of the second I could have lived without (she was over 10lb), but otherwise it was physical discomfort, pressure and intense work, not pain.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i had a spinal block, and the after effect was the worst...i got the shakes and everyone kept asking if i was cold and im over here sweating, i look like a heroin addict going through withdrawl
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009