• In the Spotlight:

Induction...If you've had one I would appreciate your answers!!

How was yours started?
How long did your labor last?
Was it sucessful or did you have to have a c-section?
Would you do it again?

My doctor told me today that we can induce at 38 weeks because my baby might be big but it's up to me. I'm not really sure that I want one. I really had invisioned a natural birth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced with bot of my boys [almost 3 & 21 months]. I got to the hospital and the nurse started the IV drip. My dr then came in to check me and broke my water. Right after pitocin was started on a metered like dose thing that was attached to my iv. Every 30 minutes or so they would up the dosage. Both of my labors were 11 hrs. From the time of checking into the hospital to the actual birth. My first had a few complications, he was sunny side up, but other then that I loved being induced! Oh & both ended in vaginal births. Had to have vacuum with first since I was too numb to push.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was induced twice. The first experience was awful. I don't know if it had to do with the induction or if it would have been horrible going into labor naturally. I'm pretty sure my son should have been a c-section. I was induced at 6 am and didn't have him until almost 8 that night, after over an hour of pushing. He was over 9 lbs and I had to have an epesiotomy and he was vacuum-delivered. I was sore for 4 months. After that experience, I was very scared to go through that again and was not planning on getting induced again. My doctor was worried about my baby, though, and I was induced again with my daughter. This time it was a completely different experience. I had her within 2 hours of them breaking my water and I felt no pain this time with my epidural and I had her out in 1 push. I wouldn't recommend asking for an induction unless your doctor thinks it is necessary.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was induced with my son. I went in the night before for Cervadil. They induced at 6:00 the next morning. I labored until 8:00 that night then had to have a C-section.
    jmoran

Answer by jmoran at 11:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was induced. They started the pitocin drip at 7 am and then broke my water at 3 pm. I had really intense contractions for about an hour and then my beautiful baby girl was delivered at 6:30 pm. she came out sunny side up and healthy. I would do it again because my experience was great, I didn't need any pain meds.
    madelines_mom

Answer by madelines_mom at 11:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• How was yours started? i was one day overdue and did not dialate at all. so they placed a capsel in my cervix to soften it to get ready to dialate

How long did your labor last? 6 hours

Was it sucessful or did you have to have a c-section? successful, 10 min of pushing

Would you do it again? umm no just because I want nature to take its course and see how it goes
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 11:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• with my first i was induced at around 34 weeks my sons heart rate was crazy low. I was really hoping not to be again but at 36 weeks my 2nd son ran out of fluid and i was at 4 already so they started me. With my first i was only in labor for 10 hours and only pushed for 13 mins. With my 2nd i was in labor for 7 hours and pushed out in 7 mins. I didnt want to do it again but i dont care now that i have 2 health babies and i was started with patocin or something like that and with my 2nd idk what it was called it was also in an Iv and i didnt have pain meds with my 1st did with my 2nd and they didnt even work!
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 11:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was induced with my dd. I had medical problems and my blood pressure was through the roof. They gave me petosin. It took about three hours to start my labor. I then labored for a total of forty hours. I was in labor for twenty hours before they broke my water, then they let me go another twenty before they determined I would need a c-section. They kept telling me how I would have no problem getting her out naturally and that there was enough room. I was not progressing, so they had to do a c-section anyway. I was really disappointed and didn't want a c-section. Now in high sight, I wish I would have waited until she had just come on her own. I wasn't given the choice, but if I would have been able to choose, I would have waited. The only thing that was good about it was that my husband had been deployed my entire pregnancy, and came home for leave two days before they induced me. So he was here.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:48 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was induced with my 3rd (my son) I just wasnt getting contractions so at 41 weeks i went in at 7:00 am and they started me on a iv and gave me stuff to make me get contractions It was really painful to me he was born at 3pm.. im 5 months pregnant now if my doctor asked me if i wanted to be induced i would say no way unless i needed to but everyone is deff i had 2 natural births so i know the defference I never had c-section though....good luck to you
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• induced, AWFUL, ended up with c-section after 16 hours. cervidel, pitocin, epidural -- all adverse reactions to me and my baby. trying for an all natural VBAC any day now.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Thank you for all the answers. I just want to clarify that I am not asking for an induction. My doctor just said that he would recommend it but that it's up to me and if I say no he won't argue with me.

Like I said I really want to do this naturally but I would also like to be prepared if it becomes necessary.

Again THANK YOU for all the answers.
    Anonymous