How late is too late to go out with my son?

My friends are always asking me and my husband to go out to dinner with them after work which is like 8 ish and i've always declined cause my son is 5 mon and i felt funny about going out so late with him. But i finally gave in and we went bowling with another couple on a sunday night (cheap bowling on sunday evenings). It was innocent bowling but we were out till like 10, I was afraid i was doing something wrong or that people would think i was a bad mother which i am not but he normally is up till after 9 anyways. Please be honest and tell me what you think or would think if you saw me out to dinner at 9 at night. thank you

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would think nothing of it. It wasn't like you were dragging him all over town every night. Here and there is nothing really. You should go have fun occasionally. I occasionally took and still at 13 take him out doing things and end up like at Wal-Mart at 1:00 in the morning. It isn't routine, just something the happens. Your fine, keep being a good Momma.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I honestly wouldnt think anything of it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Normally, I don't think anything of it. People should realize that different families keep different schedules. Some parents work nights, etc. As long as your son gets enough sleep, that is the important thing. The only time it would concern me is if school-aged children are out late on school nights they may not get enough sleep if they have to get up early (unless they are homeschooled).

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My oldest was always out late with us. I worked until between 11pm and 3am depending on the night and didn't have a license so my DH had to come get me. My oldest was only about 4 months when I went back to work and he couldn't stay home alone so he came. I never cared what people thought. My son always got all the sleep he needed. He just slept late in the morning usually about 9 or 10 and he still does at 3... My kids now are 2 and 3 years and they are very very rarely in bed before 10 - 10:30 at night. As long as they aren't being deprived of sleep, what does it matter what hour they sleep.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If they are doing alright, I don't see anything wrong with it. When you see a child out late, and they are crying and inconsolable and you can tell they are exhausted I get a little dumbfounded, but it's not my child and not my problem. I also wouldn't do it on a regular basis, because I like to keep a schedule, and have my dd in bed around the same time every night, but I think every now and then is fine.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:34 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• He's your son, do what you want. There is nothing in writing about rules. You operate your family how you wish. You can take your son out, he will sleep when he is ready. Just live your life.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• When they are still in the infant car sear carrier you can take them anywhere. We did. Don't worry about it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You know your son and his ability to deal with the occasional change in his sleep schedule. If he can sleep late the next day, isn't too grumpy, and had a good time - YEAH! He probably enjoyed the grown-up treat. And if you keep an eye on him during these evenings out, cutting it short if he seems like he needs to go home then there really isn't a problem.

Remember, a bad mom drags her child out bar crawling with her til the bars close and if he gets sleepy, she has him sleep on the floor under her bar chair. You are NOT a bad mom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't think twice about it.... if I had been there to "see you" I would have had my kids in tow too.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• With our oldest we were always out late. He would sleep in his infant carseat if he was tired. After he moved to a bigger carseat we didn't do it unless it was when he would be up anyway. He went to bed at about 11pm everynight, so it was no big deal if we were out later. Then he was a late riser like us, but now he is an early bird.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009