If your stomach hurts and you breastfeed, will baby's hurt too?

Yesterday I had some really rich food and felt sick afterwards. It wasn't food poisoning, the food was just too rich for me. I exclusively breastfeed my daughter and around 3:00am last night, she woke up shrieking in pain like her stomach hurt. Is it possible that my upset stomach affected her, too?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 11:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're not going to pass on your upset stomach to her. Although it is possible that the rich food - whatever it was, and it would help o know what it was, also upset her belly.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The rich food may well have effected your LO, but just because you had an upset stomach for whatever reason does not mean baby will. What you eat changes the composition of your breastmilk and with my first I couldn't eat gassy veggies without him getting terribly gassy even though I didn't.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009