so scared of daycare horror stories! help??

my son is 8 months old now and i did night school to stay home with him for the first few months but for my senior year i plan on going back to mmy regular day school. but im so nervous about day cares!!! you hear so many horror stories and i dont want my son to be abused or neglected. he'll be 10 months when he starts the daycare... are there any suggestions on how to pick the right one... and not worry all through the school day?

KDW10_7_08

Asked by KDW10_7_08 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most daycares wil let you visit with your children, to see how they interact with them. You could also go by " word of mouth". I chose my daycare because it was recommended by a friend.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• fined one that dosent mind a check in..meaning u are allowed to stop by for a visit at anytime just to even say hi. if thats a no no then i would move on ( there should be no proublms with you stopeing by ever so offten ) also what are there accedent report. meaning if son fell and gets a bruise they should tell u ok he was.....playing and this happend so if a briuse appers heres why. also how much help do they have 2 people 3 people how many kids? little older, certifide? do they have a website. and read any contract before sining it. its scary but not all places are scary also note he will come home with a cold or stuffy nose runny nose hes with new people it happens. good luck xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree with the others. If there is a daycare that allows random visits where you don't have to notify them you are coming, those are the best ones. They expect parents at any hours and any time of the day, so they have to constantly be on their game and make sure the kids are well taken care of. Its the daycares that DONT allow visits that worry me. I would also check into their cleaning policy and procedures. Kids in daycares will get sick more often...thats a given, but as long as you know things are being properly cleaned often, that is another plus.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My 9-month-old son started daycare at 6 months. We found a person that just recently got recertified. She was in the daycare business for 10 years and then took a little break. Right now she only has my son and another little boy throughout the week, and my son alone for 2 out of 3 days. Maybe try just a person rather than a center? I can go and check on him at any time and visit with him. He gets a lot of one-on-one attention. He has never gotten sick. He loves it there! We go to get him at random times and she is ALWAYS on the floor playing with him. You can find someone reliable and trustworthy, it just takes some time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have worked in two different day cares before. Finding one that allows you to drop in at any time of day is a good idea..... but the way it works in a daycare is that the workers learn to recognize the parents, and their cars... as soon as you pull in the people caring for your son will know about it, and they will do a quick scramble to make sure everything is in order for him.
    Some day cares offer video surveillance online. They're rare, but it would definitely be something you want to look into. That way, even if you're at work you can log in and view what is going on in the classroom.
    No day care worker is going to completely neglect your son, you just have to understand that he won't get much 1 on 1 attention.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 6:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I worked in a daycare for many years but Now I just watch a few in my home.Do a good search for the right place, home daycare are more personal ( if the are not to full) .I know all the kids with me their parents are welcome to come and go anytime. Most of the kids don't want to leave my house at the end of the day,
    braelee2

Answer by braelee2 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2009