still rocking my 8 month old to sleep at bedtime AND naptimes!

i dont know how to start independent sleeping.... when i do rock him to sleep and put him to bed he sleeps all through the night 9 outta 10 times so there's no problem there its just that i still rock him everytime... we do dinner playtime bath bottle he usually falls asleep with that last bottle but if i dont rock him for 5-10 minutes afterward he wakes right up as soon as i put him down and will scream till i pick him up and rock him... i need some step by step advice please i dont even know where to start...

KDW10_7_08

Asked by KDW10_7_08 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As a mother of 4, I tell you this with all sincerity: Cherish every minute of it.

There will come a day ---- very very soon --- where you will be kicking yourself for even thinking about trying to stop the rocking to sleep. A day when you'll try to rock with him & he pushes you away.

Trust me on this ---- rock that baby every chance you get for as long as he'll let you.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• 'Still' and '8 months' don't go together in my head...

I was 'still' nursing my kids to sleep when they were over 2.

Man, that was a long time ago, now... My 'overprotected' daughter, who sat on my lap practically full-time until she stopped really suddenly at 12, is going to London and Glasgow by herself next week for 17 days. She turns 18 in October.

Here's a question I ask moms fairly often, and I always say 'think about it for a few days, don't answer right away...'

~~~ Do you have something more important to do with your time? ~~~

This is about loving and nurturing your child, yeah?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree with both of the PPs, hug and cuddle your baby as much as you can.

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son is 19 months old and I still rock him before every nap and bedtime too - not til he's sleeping full asleep but i was at 8 months like you -if you know he CAN put himself to sleep when/if he wakes then its really not a "problem" unless it is for you. what I did step by step is started putting him down and when he woke to screaming, re-rock him til he's asleep then the next night i'd let him cry for 1 minute instead of 30 seconds - then night after taht, 3 minutes - or whatever length you want- but then my son started to realize that I was putting him down awake or wasn't going to pick him up right away - although my situation was different, he did not learn the self soothing ability due to colic so I ended up having to use full blown cry it out method -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009