How "fast acting" is sperm?

By this I mean when having sex and using the sperm to help ripen your cervix how long does it need to "set" on the cervix before it starts working or is it immediate?

DH and I have been having LOTS of sex to ripen my cervix. Most of the time it's at night and I just go to sleep so it "sets" for several hours before I get up but sometimes I just lay there for 30 minutes or less.

I have lost 2 HUGE chunks of my mucus plug after waking up in the middle of the night to pee after we've had intercourse a few hours earlier.

BUT is there a minimum amount of time OR an amount of time that's more effective for ripening the cervix when using sperm?

Also is there anything else that can help ripen the cervix?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• funny story it was about a week or less till my due date and i was ready for her to be here so i told my husband to lets have sex well he was drunk and it was taking forever so i was like just forget it well he passed out and like 3 hours later i woke up in labor, i was nice enought to let him sleep for 2 more hours before i woke his ass up to go to the hospital.. but he didnt even cum in side me, i am sure you are getting close to labor! good luck
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• With my first pregnancy my ob gave me the cytetec pill (sp) which the nurse inserts into the vaginal at the cervix and then they elivate your but for 30 mins that just helps to keeep the pill right on the cervix then you get up and walk for 1 hour then you come back and they repeat it. and will repeat one more time if necessarry but shouldnt be I only had to do it 2 times, but my piont is that the prosteglandin in sperm is the same thing as what is in cytetec that they gave me so if I was you I would try doing that. Have sex then elivate your butt with pillow for an hour dont clean up just let it sit there on your cervix for 30min then go for a long walk. and do it again if you can.
    Good luck .
    ashleejo

Answer by ashleejo at 2:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009